Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dovetail Jigs

I have tried all the top end contenders Leigh, Akeda, PC Omni-Jig and the Incra. Incra of course is a more specialized joinery system and though I love it for many reasons isn't really a contender for a pure DT jig. I find the other three to be different flavors of ice cream that usually elicits a love or hate reaction. I prefer the newest PC Omni-jig and find it as or more flexible than the other two and easier to setup. I will say however that the jig with the most following seems to be the Leigh but it escapes me since it is my third favorite.

I have the Incra Ultra. Can cut any type of dovetail in any spacing as well as box joints. They also have their double-double joints. In addition, you can use it on your tablesaw for precision cuts.

OK, I am betting this might stir the pot a bit. http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/dovetail_jig_compare.htm I keep hearing that you can do more with the PC (42/51/71 series) than what is normally stated. But this seems to say otherwise (unless you add a lot of addons). I would SERIOUSLY love it if someone could refute what this guy says about the baseline 5116!

For the record, I am leaning towards the Akeda with the #3 kit for starters. Heck, I might buy the whole shebang. I know everyone has their preferences.

OK, fire away.

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 01-13-2011 at 1:27 AM. Reason: series numbering edited

I have been studying the Akeda page and one thing strikes me. The bit sets go from 7, 9, 11, 14, and 20 degrees. With the starter kit (A) you get the 7 deg finger guides and the bit set (among other things). It strikes me as odd in that it would apear that the 9-20 deg bits cannot be used since the associated finger guides are not there... and this would imply for max capability, you would have to get the 64 piece (C) kit. Am I reading that correctly? It also does not appear possible to buy individual guide sets, only in kit form. Please, somebody familiar with the Akeda, please explain this aspect of their marketing.

Thanks,

Mike

Anyone know?

+1 on the Akeda. I use it sporadically every few months or so. Learning curve/setup is a breeze. My dovetails turn out perfect every time. It is truly a pleasure to use. Pretty much everything it's touted to be, it lives up to. Ease of use, repeatability, etc.

All the guide sets are available separately. Go to thejigstore.com click on "create an order" and you will see all the spare parts available for sale. I think they cost under $20 for a bag of them. Buying the C kit is the most economical way to go.

At this time no jigs are available for sale at the jigstore.... no date has been indicated when more will be available. Currently only jigs sold secondhand are available, and very, very few of them at that.
    Last edited by roman fedyk; 01-13-2011 at 10:50 AM.

I have the whole shebang. Buy it and cry once. Yes you are correct, for through dovetails in 9-20 degrees, you need the correct guide fingers (dovetail bit with straight guides, straight bit with angled guides). You could perform half-blind dovetails without the corresponding angled guide fingers, but who likes those. I haven't bought anything from Akeda in a long time, (since LOML bought me the complete kit to go with my basic jig), but you used to be able to buy individual components. Again, you'd spend more now, but the kit really is worth it in my opinion. Also, do consider 8MM shanks. It's a simple bushing in the router, but as with all jigs, with the bit hanging out that far, every bit of extra steel helps. I have the 1/4" bits and haven't had an issue, but I can only imagine how much better 8MM would be.

The Akeda website doesn't seem to have everything, check www.thejigstore.com.

Ryan

I just found out that Kevan Lear from Akeda has found a partner for manufacturing the jigs and production will start again. Thejigstore is setting up a list of people that want the jig and will contact them when product is available.

Good news as this is a super jig for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    I have the whole shebang. Buy it and cry once. Yes you are correct, for through dovetails in 9-20 degrees, you need the correct guide fingers (dovetail bit with straight guides, straight bit with angled guides). You could perform half-blind dovetails without the corresponding angled guide fingers, but who likes those. I haven't bought anything from Akeda in a long time, (since LOML bought me the complete kit to go with my basic jig), but you used to be able to buy individual components. Again, you'd spend more now, but the kit really is worth it in my opinion. Also, do consider 8MM shanks. It's a simple bushing in the router, but as with all jigs, with the bit hanging out that far, every bit of extra steel helps. I have the 1/4" bits and haven't had an issue, but I can only imagine how much better 8MM would be.

The Akeda website doesn't seem to have everything, check www.thejigstore.com.

Ryan

Ryan, Thank you so much!!! I finally understand the situation. Yeah, in this case, I think I will go whole hog. It did not occur to me that 8mm was a heftier shank. But with the "C" kit, you get the collets. So, no problem.

So, what is the relationship of the Jigstore and Akeda?

Mike

I have made my decision. I have studied this thing ad-nauseum, read reviews, spoke with folks. The Akeda DC16 with the Starter Kit A as a package from the Jig Store (its $399!). Based on the fact that I do not do a lot of these, but do not want to be limited in the future, it makes the most sense. When I look at the PC, my other studied jig, I can't get over the added cost of all the templates!

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

I have the Leigh 16" model and love it. The documentation is excellent and the DVD very well done. Excellent quality. If I didn't have a better way to do box joints, I would have got the template for it also.

What blows me away is that the PC seems like such a cool entry to the gig. When you study the literature, it becomes obvious that you can spend well over $1000 for the same capability as the Akeda (at $600 or less. $400 being the best estimate). You really have to read the fine print. The PC, at any level, cannot do through cut DT. That in itself is quite surprising. (ok, maybe the 4216 can, not sure).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    What blows me away is that the PC seems like such a cool entry to the gig. When you study the literature, it becomes obvious that you can spend well over $1000 for the same capability as the Akeda (at $600 or less. $400 being the best estimate). You really have to read the fine print. The PC, at any level, cannot do through cut DT. That in itself is quite surprising. (ok, maybe the 4216 can, not sure).
    Not sure what you are talking about but just today I cut 10 drawers using my PC omi using through Dove Tails. Say what you want, but a some point you might reach a point the the Akeda falls short in what it will do for you
    Last edited by "Gary Smith"; 01-15-2011 at 12:01 PM.