Thread: Engraving on Black Marble

Engraving on Black Marble

Hello,

I am new to lasering on marble and I am having some difficulties getting the look that I would like for photos.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the lasering to "pop" or be white as opposed
    to the light gray that I am coming up with?

I am using a 50 watt Universal and Lasersketch's absolute black marble.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Shawna
    First of all, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of information and helpful people here.
    I hate to break it to ya, but Lasersketch's absolute black marble ain't marble. That product is best treated as if it were granite. (If you doubt it, then do a quick test. Take some regular vinegar and put some on a place where it won't be seen. If it's marble, the vinegar will mar it). I usually run that product at about 40p/100s at 300dpi. To get it to "pop", get a tube of Winton's Artist Oil paint and rub it into the engraving when finished. Real marble won't require filling as it will laser white with the a properly prepared photo and the right settings. Marble settings are pretty much opposite of granite, high power, low speed. Do a search on here and you will find tons of info on this subject. Good luck with it and have fun!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    Shawna,

Also Welcome to the Creek

You might want to view all the information at http://www.engrave.ca/

And watch the video's They are great.
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Ditto on the paint with granite.
    There is good info here:
    http://www.coreldrawpro.com/Library/CP-607.pdf
    page 14, and there is a companion article in another issue on marble.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

I can't remember who to give credit to but I learned from someone here to wipe the black marble with WD40 before you run it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Frazee View Post
    I can't remember who to give credit to but I learned from someone here to wipe the black marble with WD40 before you run it.
    Are you sure you didn't mean wiping it with Armor All?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hehehe...wipe on some WD40, tape er down with some duct tape and yur ready to run!
    (Keith Outten is a great believer in Armor All, however, I'm not sure I could ever tell a lot of difference, other than it makes the black shiny)
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    Larry,

I've tried the Armor All on a number of substrates (granite, marble, different colors) and so far have been unable to tell the difference in a blind test.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Larry,

I've tried the Armor All on a number of substrates (granite, marble, different colors) and so far have been unable to tell the difference in a blind test.
    I think it helps with clean up if you are paint filling, I personally use car wax.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Larry,

Yes Dan, I think what happens is that the Armor All increases the contrast because it makes the black become more shiny. I personally haven't found anything other than Winton's that makes the white brighter and that of course is added color in lieu of something that supposedly enhances as engraving takes place. It would be nice if there were a product that would truly do that job.