Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM 3520B dust collector shroud work well?

PM 3520B dust collector shroud work well?

I am about to take the plunge and buy a PM 3520 B lathe and need some advice on whether to purchase the dust collector shroud or not. It appears to be a nice design but would like some input on its effectiveness before I buy it.

Thanks for the help

Hi Allen,

I have it and don't like it. I have let 2 of my friend with the same lathe use it and neither one of them liked it either.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I have it. It sucks, and not in a good way.

Those who don't like it, what are you running for DC?
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

On the 3520 there is a rod where the cage is suppose to mount. I don't use the cage but I left the rod in place. I built a box that hangs on the rod and has a 4" connector in the bottom. I plug my DC hose up to the connector and it does a good job of collecting dust as I'm sanding, especially if I sand in reverse. It's also handy for throwing handfuls of shavings into as they pile up on the lathe.

I find there is no way to suck dust at the lathe. I work with a fan over my right shoulder, blows the dust to the left. It's a mess over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Those who don't like it, what are you running for DC?
    Grizzly 2HP.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I find there is no way to suck dust at the lathe. I work with a fan over my right shoulder, blows the dust to the left. It's a mess over there.
    Mike,

I use a Delta 1-1/2 hp dust collector hooked to a big gulp hood behind my lathe, and also run an overhead air cleaner. My DC pulls probably 95% of the dust from sanding, and if I put it close to the project [ I made a mount where it slides in and out] it will collect just about every bit of dust from sanding.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like this one...

I got this one from Woodcraft and like it quite well. It's smaller opening helps really pull the dust away while sanding and even some chips while cutting.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...tion-Head.aspx
    I use it with a 2HP HF dust collector.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Here's a homemade one from a video on youtube of JT Dunphy at work. I personally just have the end of a 4" dust collector hose positioned near what I am working on (plywood jig) and it works just fine from what I can see.

JT Dunphy--Revealing Treasures from trees-- Part 4, around the 10 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HJA5...eature=related

Attached Images Attached Images
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Here's what I use. Works great.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem

Looks way too expensive for me to afford! That wire mesh and the custom printed box is way too expensive.

BTW, did you drink all that Southern Comfort?

Thanks to all for the feedback here. I ordered my lathe today and left the shroud out of the order!

For sanding, I just bungee cord a 4" dc hose onto the banjo and move it to a suitable position. I'd have to add another section of hose to go over the lathe and down the back. The hose I use is shared with the bandsaw. For anything other than sanding, I just let the chips fall where they may.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have one also and about the only thing it does correctly is mount on the banjo. It is impossible (well, I am a 20 pound wimp) to tighten the knobs enough to keep the business end from from tipping into your work. So, I would give it a definite THUMBS DOWN. I think the cardboard box idea will work really well. One of the guys in my club has a very similarly homemade shroud and it works like a charm.