Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a weekend...Sunday.

What a weekend...Sunday.

Photo0123 (Large).jpgPhoto0184 (Large).jpgPhoto0186 (Large).jpgWell, with Saturday being a bust (find out about that day in General Woodworking), Sunday HAD to be better. Well, it was...much much better. Dan Hintz met me at my house around 9 am, I showed him my progress on my PM90 restore. Then we headed off to our Virginia Angel...aka Tony De Masi. He's helped me out, teaching me how to cut up wood for turning blanks, helped/guided me on the lathe a bit, and now he was going to school Dan and me a little more.

Dan got a taste for turning for the very first time. He took to it like a pig to mud, cow to cud, fly to...well, let's just go with the other analogies. I think the vortex is sucking him in so fast, the light is bending.

Dan turned a very nice walnut bowl (green wood) courtesy of Tony. I turned a piece of hickory from Ken's. After these things finish their DNA baths, they'll get a nice finish turn.

We had a nice lunch (thanks, Tony), then headed back to the shop for ooooooone more turning. I wanted to try a natural edge bowl with some cedar I brought with me. Long story short...it exploded in half (weak point in the wood, not a crack, more like a fold) and one half hit me in the chest. Didn't hurt as much as it startled me. No sense in ending the day like that, so we drank a cold one!

Dan and I had to split.

Great day. Thanks again, Tony. You are a kind and patient man. Even if you did shoot Dan some evil eyes...
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 01-04-2011 at 7:12 PM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

2. Sounds like a great party!!! Tony's the man! That explosion is why I always wear a full face mask! I once had a walnut log blank come off my lathe and hit me in the chest so hard, that well, I closed the shop for the rest of the day, and thought more about safety! Thankfully, you are okay!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You guys have been having way too much fun!! Sounds like a much better Sunday than Saturday (read your other thread!), and sucking Hintz deeper into the vortex was worth the whole trip!

Looks like a lot of fun! That's my kind of party (without the exploding bowl of course!) So when is Dan ponying up on a lathe? You know under that big grin of his he is quietly cursing you both I'd say another one is hooked, now we just gotta reel em in!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Roger, it was great. I was wearing a full face shield. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Rick, he already HAS the Jet 16" lathe. He just hasn't put it together because he knew he needed instruction on turning before using it, and he did the smart thing by not putting it together and being tempted to play with it. I wouldnt' be surprised if it is in the process of assembly riiiiiight now.

John, yes, way too much fun. Making up for my Saturday, though...ugh. Dan slipped me the stink eye a number of times Sunday, blaming me for the turning bug.
    I drink, therefore I am.

enjoy, i have bad experiences with cedar, no blow ups, just cracks and when setting up blank, cedar just does not split like oak, he he

That sounds like great fun. I'm starting to question Dan's mental status... Who buys a lathe and then doesn't put it together?

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    That sounds like great fun. I'm starting to question Dan's mental status... Who buys a lathe and then doesn't put it together?
    and he has two of them!

I wasn't going to go there, Baxter. I wonder if Dan's ears are burning...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks like a ball was had by all. Dan is falling into the black hole for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sounds like fun! I am envious.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Looks like a great day!

How did that Hickory turn for you? I pulled some big stuff yesterday, sure smelled good cutting it!

Blog Entries
    Many thanks to Tony for opening up his shop (and grill... burgers, yumm!) to us. I wasn't sure how the wood was going to react to my (often) heavy hand, but I think it was so wet the tools slid right across.

Rick, I have Jet's 1642EVS for wood and their 920S for metal. There are several reasons tools are still disassembled in my shop at the moment... lack of proper power runs (240V), some of the heavy stuff isn't on a mobile base yet (bandsaw... need help getting it on there), and lack of designated space. I'm working on it all...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan, I'll help you, allbeit with my gimpy arms, but I'll help.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Ken, I have to admit that even with a proper seal (well, I only put one coat on it, maybe I should have put two on) it still cracked a bit and my bowl ended up about 7-8 inches IIRC. I was hoping for a 10-11 incher out of it. But it cut smoothly and yeah, it smelled great. Of course, it was after Dan's walnut bowl, so it wasn't as strong a smell. If we had done the hickory first, it probably would have been more noticable.
    I drink, therefore I am.