Thread: "Finishing" a milk paint finish

"Finishing" a milk paint finish

I am completing a project that has a milk paint finish (pair of corner cabinets). First time using milk paint. The product literature says that the paint is very absorptive if not sealed with a finish. They suggest Watco or similar. My questions are… Does wax work? What do you recommend as the sealer?

I have one coat of milk paint done so far and it feels like chalk right now. Goal is for if to feel like a well worn Windsor chair. Want to keep the sheen as low as possible.

Thanks in advance.

I have over the years used BLO, Watco, a straight varnish applied with a rag, and wax only. All have worked well to seal the finish. The majority of the finishes have a very low sheen, the straight varnish being the exception. As for the finish feeling like chalk, a rubdown with a gray Scotchbrite pad will level things out necely.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Burnishing the paint with a scotchbrite will burnish it nicely and will wear thru if done aggressively, which is often the kind of look people want with milk paint.

Wax will work. Most anything will work. But the wax will not provide much protection for long. If it were me, I'd use a diluted wiping varnish of even thinned shellac.

Thanks guys for the help