Thread: Source for Shagbark Hickory

Source for Shagbark Hickory

Happy New Year to All,

I am looking for a source of 8/4 or 12/4 Shagbark Hickory for a project at the shop. I usually try to buy directly from a small mill and would like to do the same. I will pick up if possible or if necessary have it shipped. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Lumber is almost always a local business. Shipping it a long way adds to the cost. You should edit your profile to provide your location.

In my 20+ years of hardwood lumber sales I've never seen hickory commercially differentiated by sub-species (Mockernut / Pignut / Shagbark etc.) other than a couple of mills in the deep South that differentiated true hickory from pecan. Most wood technologist would have a difficult time with a magnifying glass telling the sub-species apart so you can’t expect a lumber grader to do the same with his naked eye standing upon the board on an inspection line.
    Perhaps what you are actually looking for is true hickory in lieu of pecan/hickory. Although the National Hardwood Lumber Association (NHLA) grade rules specify that a NHLA inspector will not make any distinction in species between hickory and pecan, you may find a custom mill in an area (i.e. Woodmizer owner) that can select some Shagbark hickory logs and custom saw them for you. Green (undried) hickory will stain fairly quickly so you would need to have some custom kiln options readily available or you will likely have blue stained sapwood in your lumber.
    I have used pecan and hickory in several kitchen cabinet projects and found the pecan sapwood to be slightly beige to light tan with brownish heartwood while the true hickory I worked with had snow white sapwood and very dark brown heartwood. You can certainly tell the difference when you run them through a under powered planer or table saw as the pecan is usually less dense. The hickory made my 12” planer groan.
    I am curious why you would specify Shagbark hickory as your request is akin to a woodworker specifying Chestnut Oak or Post Oak from a supplier who sells American white oak. Perhaps a sentimental reason?...

Blog Entries
    It would help to know where you are located......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm located in Albuquerque, NM, so it's a going to be a haul in most cases. The species, Shagbark Hickory, is one I have used before but I am also open to any Hickory veriety for a project that I have lined up. For the past 35 years I have tried to support small mills that buy local timber. The traveling does not but since there is not much available locally, I prefer to do it this way.

Thanks again and best wishes for a Happy 2011,

Ken

Shagbark Hickory

I have a lot of it but it is all in logs (up to over 36" in dia.) not milled. I have been turning bowls from it. If bowls are your project give me a call.

Good Luck,

Dave