Thread: Setting Up a Shop / Tooling Idea

Setting Up a Shop / Tooling Idea

I'm currently building a shop to be outfitted with a CNC router.
    The design of my shop will include a flat, heated shop floor.
    I'm always looking for ideas, layouts, thought processes that provide for a clean, productive and flexable work flow.
    In my past life, I was a supervisor for busy shop that built all sorts of strange, awkward and quite large steel structures for subsea cable work. Often, our worked blocked the ability of other businesses to operate. Frequently, we denied ourselves access to tools, doors and whatnot with the structures we built. "Work Flow" became my number one priority.

Recently, I visited a new shop in my area that builds sheds exclusively. Immediately, I was struck by the fact the entry to the structure was blocked by a shed under construction. I could not live with that condition for very long. I suggested components called 'Air Bearings" would allow the shed to be relocated easily and asked if they have considered such a tool for moving sheds at a whim? I might have well been talking to deer.

I estimated the weight of the sheds and calculated the requirements and determined my idea was well founded.

Later, I had 'apostrophe'!

Why not build or mount my all shop equipment, benches and material pallets on 'air bearings?'

With all the discussion about vacuum for holding parts for CNC.....the reverse is also true! A unit of plywood could be moved with a finger with little more than a shopvac.
    Workbenches could be relocated for that one-off job commanding just a little more space. Expensive and heavy tooling prone to breakage when moved, require a connection to an air line and moved at ones pleasure.

The best part is....a cnc router is the perfect tool for creating such tooling.

Not only air bearings but....vacuum lifts.

Anybody doing this now?

Finally! At Last!

49 x 40
    Two story.
    In floor heat.
    Flat slab
    Air bearings a wee bit off.

Hey! That's my brand! I wish I would have put in floor heating when I built my shop. I have a friend who heats is whole shop with a hot water heater and a circulater pump. Nice even heat. Good luck with your build.

A scientist I know worked under Werner Von Braun back in the early days of the space race. He had a heavy piece of equipment he needed moved to his office and couldn't find help. It had some kind of a closed base so he pressured it up and pushed it on down the hall. And then folks wondered how he had moved it!
    David

Hi Kurt,
    My brand used to be R&R but the product conflicts with goals in life.
    ;-)
    After a hard days work...beer is more survival and recovery. It is one of life's essential!
    I still remember the warmth emanating from a infloor heated shop @ -20ºf. Like climbing Everest...my goal is comfort regardless of what winter offers.

@ David,
    The power of air pressure or vacuum always impresses me.
    It is such an under utilized or forgotten resource
    I used to jack concrete slabs...2-6 pounds of pressure pumping a Portland slurry can can solve issues for a customer or ruin a house. You can go from hero to a zero in a couple of seconds.
    I once raised a concrete slab 8" so a coke machine would sit upright and not take all hands to move it while preventing it from crashing thru a shopfront window.

The shop is sheeted and weathered in with Titanium felt. (High tech plastic)

Two more concrete pours and all will come together.
    I planned on nailing down shingles for Fathers Day but I screwed the pooch with my nose to the grindstone and forgot to get my order in for crane service sooner.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...00000097726356
    Last edited by Chuck Gallup; 06-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.