Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Workbench based on Popular Woodworking design

Blog Entries
    How fun. Great to be made out of local stock. The bear-ear joints are a hoot. The LV vise as a front vise really makes sense for the way I work (although I don't have one ;-).

Ok, second time back here, I love the look of that bench.
    Question for you on the split top, I've never understood what that does for you? Is the plan to keep tools in the middle area and work from both sides of the bench? How do you find it in use? I keep thinking I'd drop tools and stuff in that central hold and be crawling all over the floor picking them back up. I'm really asking though, and don't have a real opinion, but that split top is a big departure from "normal", what's the theory, and does it rely on having 360 degree access or what?

Awesome looking bench, and wood off your own land too--wow. I'd just love working on that.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Dave,
    I was skeptical to, but now am in love with the concept. The split top was designed that way for a couple of reasons; the first reason being that one can build each solid piece 12" wide and thickness plane it on a small planer; I have a 15" planer so that was not an issue for me. The second reason, which makes a lot of sense, is that you could clamp something to the front of the bench with the clamp reaching to the middle of the bench; thus, your clamp would not need to stradle the entire 31" bench top. Did I explain that adequately? Another design I saw utilized three 10" slabs (again planed on a 12" planer) and then glued to each other. Some designs I've seen have the tool tray at the back of the bench, but it is integral with the slab and cannot be turned over or easily cleaned. Already I've settled into a pattern of keeping two of the trays turned over for bench dogs and measuring tools at the ends of the bench and having the 3 trays in the middle upside down for a flat surface across the whole bench. I think the versatility is what is neat. I am currently working from both sides of the bench, but think it would work nicely to just work from the front, vise side only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    What Paul just said . . . Lang makes it very clear in his video of the bench why that big twin-screw is better on the face rather than the end.

Here is an in-progress set of pics of my "left-hand" version:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...59403#poststop

**I just noticed that the pic's don't show the vises on yet, but my twin screw is on the RIGHT and the Groz 9" quick release is in the end vise position, same plank, to the left.

So far it's been GREAT to work with.
    Another try at posting the thread with pictures: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ches&p=1459403

I think this one works - it shows my bench "in progress"
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Very interesting, thanks!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I have been researching wookbenches for about a year, and have about a dozen plans, but none of them is a beautiful as yours. Nice job!

That is one real nice looking bench. Great job Paul..

Oh my!!! What a beautiful workbench. I've looked at that design and wondered how it would look with some contrasting woods and now I know. The idea of having 5 tool trays that can be inverted to provide a flat bench surface across the entire width of the bench is brilliant and extremely well executed. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

That belongs in the house. Trully a piece of fine furniture. If you don't mind tell me the source of the vice.

Frank,
    It is a Veritas twin screw from Lee Valley.

I just cant believe you gave up a nice MDF bench for this!! Hahaha Man that bench is one good looking piece of work, it should provide you with years of service. Excellent job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I take it your wife hasn't seen it yet.

That belongs in the kitchen. Beautiful work!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Paul, This is a great bench. Awesome job. The bench should serve you (and any woodworking inclined offspring) for years. I like the idea of putting a twin screw vise on the face. I have a leg vise on mine which works great until I have to put longer stock, oriented vertically in it. What happens is the chop of the leg vise wants to rack and doesn't have the clamping power it should. I have to place a block on the other side of the screw to counter the racking.... Its a pain. My next bench will definitely have a twin screw on the face and a tail vise on the end for thicknessing and surfacing material.

Awesome bench man. I'm impressed and inspired.

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

Beautiful work and a really nice bench. But you messed up; this is too nice looking to do work on. I would be terrified of hitting the surface with a chisel or an errant drill bit.
    Hope you don't mind giving it some character marks.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. Some day I hope to have a workbench in my shop. I just have to figure out how to work it into the space. An addition is out of the question.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute