Thread: Harbor Freight Jem?????

Harbor Freight Jem?????

I recently, in a weak moment, purchased a three piece set (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 diameter) of High Speed Steel spiral mortising bits, Harbor Freight #66733. Have used the 1/2 and 1/4 bits and was pleasantry surprised. They worked better and cut cleaner that I expected. At 12 or 13 dollars without the 20% discount they may be hard to beat. I usually shy away from buying cutting tools at HF, and its unknown if these bits will hold-up, but so far so good.

I've gotten a brad point bit set, and a Forstner bit set from Harbor Freight. They both work great, and were very cheap. I have also bought a hole saw set, and that turned out to be junk. It's hit or miss. I imagine the simpler the design, the better the chances are of getting a good product from HF.

3. It will be interesting to see how they hold up over long-term use. Right now as you note they perform decently…*let's see what happens in the future. Who knows, you might have stumbled onto a gem.
    Sorry in advance: when I post, the thread usually dies.

Well the 21 gallon compressor certainly isn't. Mine fractured it's regulator last night. Guess which receipt I couldn't find? Anyway, the staff in my local store squared me away, I just had to buy the replacement plan. Which I'd have had to buy anyway to get it replaced (as opposed to repaired).

Good customer service, but flaky compressor. I feel a rehome coming on for it when the 1-year replacement plan expires.

What's a rehome?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    What's a rehome?
    I am guessing he plans to find a new home for it.

I bought the entire Harbor Freight mortiser several years ago... never used it until about a year ago. I turned it on and the motor was making a huge racket. It had apparently fallenl over in storage denting the top cover and breaking the fan at the top. I called Harbor Freight and they said they could order the fan... but it would come from China. They charged me $4.50ish for the part and another $4.00ish for shipping. The part came in an envelope with chinese writing all over it in about a month. I installed it and the mortiser works great.

I then installed a cross slide vise and mortises are so easy and so accurate. My bits have cut alot of mortises and are still going strong. I would like to get the mortise bit sharpening system though.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    What's a rehome?
    Yup, a new home; one that is not mine. Although perhaps I've now had my share of misfortune with that model of compressor, and the replacement one will run on for another ten years. Or perhaps not. That's the problem, I can't rely on it. Then again, if I needed one I could rely on, perhaps I ought to have invested in such a machine rather than a HF El Cheapo. To her eternal credit, my lovely wife is starting to get on my case about buying cheap.

I did find something at HF that has 'Made in the USA' on the package. It was their V-belt, which is supposed to reduce
    vibrations on tools. It surprise me a little. Might have to try it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Welty View Post
    I bought the entire Harbor Freight mortiser several years ago... never used it until about a year ago. I turned it on and the motor was making a huge racket. It had apparently fallenl over in storage denting the top cover and breaking the fan at the top. I called Harbor Freight and they said they could order the fan... but it would come from China. They charged me $4.50ish for the part and another $4.00ish for shipping. The part came in an envelope with chinese writing all over it in about a month. I installed it and the mortiser works great.

I then installed a cross slide vise and mortises are so easy and so accurate. My bits have cut alot of mortises and are still going strong. I would like to get the mortise bit sharpening system though.
    I have the same mortiser- the stock fence and hold-down are junk, but it makes good mortises with a cross-slide installed. Its a little underpowered for the big chisel, though.

I also tried their 1/4" HSS spiral bit and have had very good luck with it, so good in fact I bought a couple of spares, (seems like about $4 kor so each). I wanted to get a 3/8 & 1/2" also, but our store never seems to have anything except the 1/4" size.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".