Thread: Spurtle (Oatmeal Stirrer)

Spurtle (Oatmeal Stirrer)

Since getting my lathe about a month ago I have turned practice pieces consisting of all V-cuts, beads, coves, and tapers.

I decided to try a simple piece that combines a few of these. My first practice piece was the one in Ash. I used my roughing gouge to cut the cove on the handle and the skew chisel for the rest of it.

My second attempt is in Black Walnut and was done using only the skew chisel! I think I'm getting the hang of that skew chisel.

Both pieces got a coat of mineral oil.

I'll hang onto the Ash practice piece and give the Black Walnut one to my neighbor's wife since the Black Walnut came out of their back yard.

Oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow!

(Next I need to practice my photography!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work David. Making something you or your friends can enjoy on a lathe for a long time is rewarding. Thanks for posting with us. Hope to see more of your work.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Good Job David!
    Turning is so much fun there are many things you can make on the lathe but this is one I dont think I will make one of those looks like something the wife could whack me over the head with
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

What an educational place the Creek is! Never heard of a spurtle before. (Spurtle didn't even pass the spell checker. )

Nice work, David. Looks like you are getting the hang of the skew chisel. Your neighbor will really enjoy her new kitchen tool.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    Good Job David!
    Turning is so much fun there are many things you can make on the lathe but this is one I dont think I will make one of those looks like something the wife could whack me over the head with
    Jim
    Your right Jim. I should have mentioned that they're small, 9 - 10 inches long and about .75 inches in diameter but several folks have suggested that if I were scale them up I would have a whole new side line!

Also, to give credit where it is due, this is one of the projects in "Two Books in One - Woodturning" by Phil Irons. It has a number of simple projects that I thought would be good for a beginner like me. I found the term "Spurtle" on Derel Andrew's website for his Seafoam Woodturning Studio. He has a couple of links to sites with more history and funny sounding Scottish names.

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/Shopping/spurtle.htm

There! I feel like an honest man again.
    Last edited by David Fried; 01-08-2005 at 12:35 PM.