Thread: Gerber Dimension 200 CNC Machine - Any experience?

Gerber Dimension 200 CNC Machine - Any experience?

I've been thinking of adding a real routing table to our shop to work with more outdoor signs/Corian. We currently have a large engraver, but due to the low HP of the spindle, we cannot really cut any thicker material out. I've been on CNC zone several times and frankly, I have no interest in the Chinese CNCs. I've looked into many of the "kits" available and most have very mixed reviews other than Joe's CNC.

I was searching Craigs List and came across an ad for a Gerber Dimension 200 for sale for about the same price as a Joe's CNC. The table is smaller and the machine is older, but it is more "industrial". It comes with an older PC with relatively old Gerber software. Upon doing research I found that the Gerber CNC only runs with Gerber software. The Gerber software, is supposedly really user friendly, but is limiting and very expensive to upgrade.

Any one with any opinions or thoughts? My gut opinion is given the machine's age, computer's age, and the outdated nature of the software, the overall price should be less. I'm thinking half. With that said, I did research and found this seems to be a fair price. I don't know if I could work on a 6-7 year old PC without yanking out my hair and to buy new computer and software will run in the thousands.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

If you get the Gerber you will be stuck with their software and most likely the computer that came with it. Gerber and Carvewright are 2 of the companies that use proprietary software so you won't be able to use Cam software like Vectric offers. I have a Shopbot that I am very happy with.

Suprised they are using lead screw only as well. It can be slower than R&P and the lead screws can have whip on long X and Y axis. Many Joes boys converted to R&P and many just build that day one. I stil have lead screw on my Z on my joes and soon K2CNC lianer Z but with 5" and 8" travel it is not that long of a LS.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

the gerber is extremly propietary to software and controller, one cannot run vectric software (which i would guess a large portion of us do) on it. if the controller dies the general rule is to rehab it to mach three and this could include new drives and motors. these machines were a work horse of the sign industry in another age!!

Blog Entries
    Ross,

Why not install a beefier router (or even a spindle)?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan

Those engravers are not substantial enough to do routing if that's what you're suggesting. Also, if you're going to get a CNC machine, you may as well get a table size that opens up more opportunities.

The CAMmaster that you have would be a better choice. (you know, the one that actually should be in my basement)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Ross didn't say what type of engraver he currently had (at least in the post), all I saw was the router wasn't powerful enough... I always go for more power, like Tim the Toolman Taylor
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

"I've looked into many of the "kits" available and most have very mixed reviews other than Joe's CNC."

www.mechmate.com industrial "kit" machine you can build for $6-8K