Thread: Name Merge for 9/11 Memorial

Name Merge for 9/11 Memorial

Senario: 90x17 inch black marble (cut into <= 24" sections). Now I need to merge into this all 3,000 names from 9/11.

So far, I have been able to cut and paste 65 names at a time (the # needed in each column). This process will work fine... if I want to spend the next 2 months doing it.

Any ideas/hints/lessons learned?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim, if the plates to be engraved are the same size and the text boxes for each name the same, if you gave me those dimensions and sent me the database/list of names I could load it into Engravelab and send you a pdf or other compatible file for each plate...I think. I'll be glad to give it a try if you want. Never tried this but it should work.
    Last edited by Randy Digby; 01-01-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Here is the list (had to break it up into 4 files to fit size restrictions here):
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Am I missing something Tim, why not just use the mail merge on it?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The imposition layout would make this happen in about 5 minutes, or less. Search youtube for Roy Brewers tutorial and you'll be done in no time. If you can't find it using Roy's name then try searching for imposition layout.

Gary

Yep, that's the ones! Thanks for finding and linking them.

Gary

Tried the Print Merge with < 1,000 names and after 30+ minutes it crashes Corel (X3)
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Do 65 names at a time using that method. Still a heck of a lot easier than cutting and pasting. 65 in 15 seconds is better than nothing, plus it completes a column.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Tim, just checking to see if you got my PM...it's not showing up in my sent folder?
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Totally cheesy, but works for me

I have had success with Microsoft products. I made an Excel spreadsheet then used Microsoft word to make a mail merge document. I used a table to hold the text where I wanted it to be. I discovered how to control where the table top corner is then the size of each table box.
    It worked great to simply put information on an item. We use it to put names on flash drives. When a student/students sells some, we put names in excel, then open and print from word. If you would like, tomorrow I can post documents
    Josh Richard
    Technology Education Teacher
    Gravograph LS 100 laser, AXYZ Millennium router table 3' X 3'
    Adobe Design applications, SolidWorks
    200+ high schoolers asking to make cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Tried the Print Merge with < 1,000 names and after 30+ minutes it crashes Corel (X3)
    Tim,

You might try exporting the excel spreadsheet to CSV (or other text based) format, then try that with Corel.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Still no luck. Not sure if it's X3 or my computer.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim

Try converting the Excel to a text file in Notepad then import.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Tim try this, it's in autocad format in 65 line columns, I have a tools to create autocad tables from excel or access files.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016