Thread: Router Lift Digital Readout

Router Lift Digital Readout

Anybody using one? Rockler has one on sale for $30, there's the Igaging for ~$33 and Wixey for $80. Any experience? Being a gadget freak I would risk $30 to try one if it's any good.

I have the Wixey and it works very well, I don't use it as much as I thought I would but it is nice to have when I do.

Larry:

I installed two of the iGaging readouts on my mill drill X-Y table a few months ago. So far, so good. Grizzly has several sizes available, the 6" is $22.95 right now.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/0-6-...e-Scale/T21577

Good luck

Richard

I have the Wixey and have been very happy with it. My only complaint is that the cable from the sensor to the readout is too short to route the wires through a cabinet-style router table to a convenient exterior location. It would be fine with an open-frame style router table.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    My only complaint is that the cable from the sensor to the readout is too short to route the wires through a cabinet-style router table to a convenient exterior location. It would be fine with an open-frame style router table.
    That cable appears to be a standard RJ-45 8-pin modular cable. If that is so, you could pick up a longer cable at many electronics retailers. If not, sorry for the interruption.

Yup, it is a standard CAT5 cable- available at the big box stores, Wally World, Radio Shack, etc.

Um...In the recent past I had the audacity to spring for a nice used JessEm lift off CL for my P-C 7518. That's a leap for me, instead of twisting the motor in the base as I have for over 25 years. The hand crank gives very fine eyeball adjustments off a steel rule or existing piece. No digital readout in my router lift future. But, I do reserve the right to use DROs on my planer and drum sander for repeatable results.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Larry,
    I have a Wixey Digital Read Out made for the router table. It was mounted to a Woodpecker PRL2 and Porter Cable 7518 Router. Whenever I tuned on the router the readout would jump an inch or two. I tried all or the recommended shielding and grounding techniques that the company provided, but they didn’t correct the problem. I now own an expensive paper weight, its kicking around the shop somewhere as it did me no good mounted to the router table and just got in the way. Hope you have better luck than I did.
    Roger

I have same problem with my Wixey DRO as Roger. Tried everything, call and talk to tech.support. Did not do much. Right now it is still on the router lift but I am not using it much.
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    I have same problem with my Wixey DRO as Roger. Tried everything, call and talk to tech.support. Did not do much. Right now it is still on the router lift but I am not using it much.
    Ed.
    Did you isolate it from the lift?
    I had the problem but after I put nylon washers and nylon screws to hold the unit to the lift that took care of the problem.
    I put the nylon washers between the unit and the lift and connected it to the lift with the nylon screws and nuts.

Sounds like maybe I don't need one afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Ed.
    I too had/have the readout problems with my Wixey DRO. I seem to think the jumping on mine was due to vibration since it happens more often with larger bits.

I have the Wixey DRO but have not seen the jumping problem people are describing. I have been happy with it for the most part but I do find that it's a little less responsive than I would like. Sometimes when I am raising or lowering the bit it takes more movement than ideal for the readout to update.

I have the Wixey on my WBS and it works good for that, it does however lose its calibration every once in a while.
    Also every time I put batteries in it I wish for one that I could wire into my sander.
    Thank You
    Ed