Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Just Me???

Is it Just Me???

Call me chauvinistic if you will, but am I the only one who would rather not listen to a woman doing the broadcast of a football game? I don't mind on women's basketball or softball.
    Just something about a female voice on a football game that makes me think, "is something wrong with the tv"?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Blog Entries
    My wife and I do not watch football.

My wife's best friend since about 45 years ago loves football. So she likely would be just about as enthusiastic a football commentator as anyone else.

It was a little awkward when the "ladies" started commenting on the player's back sides. I hope the TV announcers never bring that up.

That was my cue to head for the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, my wife loves football as much as I do (if not more so). However, her response today was the same as yesterday, "It's that woman announcer again"!
    I think my phobia has to do with expounding on something when you haven't done it; i.e., telling everyone how to sharpen a saw. You can read all the books about it that you want, however, there ain't nothing like pushing the file across the teeth to make you wiser.
    Tom

I hate it when either a man or woman that is the teams announcer gets so excited about the other team doing something that if you just tuned in you think your team is doing it.

I agree.
    My wife and I also don't understand why all announcers feel like they have to scream. Has something to do with money I bet.
    Tom

Nothing's wrong with your tv - it's just you.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Doesn't bother me.

But then, I don't watch football so they could have a monkey doing the announcing and that wouldn't bother me either.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Huh. I couldn't possibly care any less.

My wife is more apt to turn on the game than I am. I mean, I'll listen to it, but I'd just as soon go out to the shop and turn wood.

Must be something defective in my "man genes" cuz I just don't get the whole "chasing a ball around the field" thing. Isn't that something dogs do?

I'm gonna duck out now before I get hit with a rock...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Must be something defective in my "man genes" cuz I just don't get the whole "chasing a ball around the field" thing.:
    Nah, you're fine. I'd rather be doing something than watching others do something. Even worse is hearing the guys at work dissect every aspect of their team week after week, or even WORSE, if possible, is them discussing how their FANTASY teams are doing. Yikes! Funny how it seems to make them feel like they are athletic.
    Ron Conlon

My wife will comment on the tonal quality of the womans voice. Some voices are just in a register she finds annoying. I do not have a problem with women announcers in general. There are plenty of announcers I can not tolerate and their gender has nothing to do with it.

Basketball and football are the only two sports I follow with an occasional PGA tournament thrown in for a lazy afternoon. I never played in any organized sport as a youth and watching a game doesn't make me feel like an athlete. I guess I am guilty of marveling at what the modern athlete can accomplish. Sports are a vehicle in which the strongest, fastest, most talented and most skilled compete and usually the best wins. The human form is an amazing thing and by far the most sophisticated machine in existence. Seeing it perform to near perfection is not to everyones taste.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

It's like listening to a 'man' on the View... It's just wrong!!!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I don't care either way. My dogs chase balls around equally as good as any people on TV and I can announce it however I want!

I don't watch any of those sporting events. Life is too short to sit there watching other people live it.

If she, or any male broadcaster for that matter, actually knows the game, teams,players, is prepared and is there for something more than "network eye candy" I have no problem with it.
    The worst broadcast I ever saw was Chris Collinsworth and Bryant Gumble. I don't think Gumble had ever played in, watched, or broadcasted a football game in his life. At one point he actually told Collinsworth he was wrong about what a receiver was supposed to be doing on a route.
    Gumble made a fool of himself that night.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    My wife will comment on the tonal quality of the womans voice. Some voices are just in a register she finds annoying.
    Funny, Greg, I'm the same way. Doesn't matter whether its TV, radio, or public, some voices are just in a range that grate on my eardrums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    It's like listening to a 'man' on the View... It's just wrong!!!
    LOL . . . or a man watching the view!

For me I just it is just a tradition thing, I don't even like to see female commentators on the field, or listen to them do after the game interviews. On the flip side, if I watched a cupcake bake-off I'd rather have the commentator be female, although I know there are a lot of men out there who bake wonderful cupcakes.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I don't want to hear any of the current crop of female reporters commenting on Football. I don't consider that as sexist since I also do not want to hear any of the current crop of male reporters either. What dunderheads! The part that burns me the most is the creation of words that are not needed. I can see the need for a new term if there are no older ones that are short, sweet, and appropriate. "Texting" come to mind. A new "word" for a new activity that otherwise would take several words to describe (sending a text message from a cellphone). But "trickeration"? Why on earth do they keep using that term. "Trickery" already exists, describes the activity, AND it's shorter! It also has the added advantage of not making one sound like a DUNDERHEAD!

On college games played by local teams, you sometimes have the option of turning the TV sound off and turning on the radio coverage. Rarely and option for Pro or Bowl games. Maybe that a reason to get satellite radio...