Thread: Most Profitable Wood Products

Most Profitable Wood Products

What things are selling and how do you sell them? I'm open to craft shows, website or other marketing methods.

I'd make smaller things with my teenage grandkids. Mainly to teach them more about woodworking,business skills and to make a good work ethic attractive to them.

I would think wood pens would sell. I made some wood business card holders to give away and I had several paying requests. Had they not been a PITA to make I might have taken them up on the requests.

Do some searching around here on SMC, this topic seems to come up on a monthly basis.

Carving boards, especially small, easy to wash carving boards?

I have been looking for something small, maybe 8" x 8" for cutting an onion or such. Something easier than dragging out a big one and then having to wash it.

Dishwasher safe would be grerat.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Thanks Matt,
    I did search here for"profit and profitable" and every post on the first 2 pages was CNC or laser related. We'd like to use our basic machines.

From the outside, of for profit, woodworking it seems to me turning is the way to go if you exclude the high start-up costs of CNC and laser oriented products.

Tom, I'm not sure I'd tell anyone that something I made from wood is dishwasher safe. Hand wash only, unless you're talking about using plastic for a cutting/carving board that you could still make with woodworking tools and carbide tooling/cutters like a router and table saw. However, none of that would work with some of my relatives who throw all wood and wood handled kitchen utinsils into their dishwashers........

Kids furniture and doll cradles attract GrandMas like flies! Nice cedar-lined blanket chests are also perrenial favorites, bought for graduations and engagements. Attractive cutting boards are always in style.

All depends on your skills, available tools, and amount of work you care to put into items for sale. IMO, cookie-cutter nick knacks made on automated CNC machines benefit the maker more than the buyer and lack hand-made character. I'd rather my offerings for sale look like they were made one at a time.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!