Thread: Grizzly H6265 4 jaw chuck

Grizzly H6265 4 jaw chuck

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>H6265 4 Jaw Wood Chuck 1" X 8TPI

Can anybody provide some feedback on this chuck? Likes, dislikes or steer me to a better deal at this price $89.95? TIA, Steve</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

It's a chuck. I had one when I was using the HF 34706 lathe I started out on. 'Had a bit of trouble keeping it tight on the workpiece. I now use a more expensive, but reliable chuck. Some vendors still have the older design SuperNOVA available for about $179 and it would be a far better choice than a bargan chuck. Remember, you have a hunk of heavy wood spinning in front of your face at high speed. The chuck is the only thing between "your face" and that wood...someone on another forum site recently said a very interesting and true thing..."the lathe is the safest lethal tool in your shop." Indeed.

The other issue is that if you buy a chuck that has a fixed threading, you'll not be able to use it with other machines later on. Most of the larger machines have bigger spindle szes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grizzly Chuck

I also had (and have) one. I did not have any problem with it staying tight, but I had to send my first one back as the thread bore was not perpendicular to the chuck body face - too much wobble. They replaced it without question, but there was still the hassle of sending it back and waiting for #2.

I don't use it much any more - hardly ever. I agree with the other poster; spend a few extra $ and get a better one up front. Sooner or later, you will do this anyway. I use the SuperNova (4 years), and have yet to experience any problem. There is a new version of this available now, and you can get the original on sale at a good $. Besides, when you inevitably change lathes - up or down, you can purchase the appropriate thread insert.

Steve
    I believe Jim & Terry are mistaken about this chuck. It is listed as a new item. They are probably thinking of th G8783 which I just recieved. Got the cosmoline cleaned off it yesterday but havn't had a chance to try it yet.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I too am chuck shopping, so Davids reply interested me

The old G8783 used Tommy Bars.

The new H6265 is keyed.

So, is the new one maybe OK?

Old one...

New One...
    Last edited by Robert Cox; 01-07-2005 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Edit to try to add pics

Robert thanks for posting the picture difference. I have a few chucks for my metal lathes that are of similar design. I would like to see a deeper reach but IMHO it has got to be easier to use than the Tommy bar type. As for moving up the latter (I can wish for a Powermatic 90), for now I have a couple of Delta 46-111's that could share this chuck. I think the Craftsman is maybe a different thread.

I just put new spindle bearing in the older Delta and have a 1 HP 3-phase motor and VFD for it.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

G8784 chuck

I am corrected. The one I have is indeed the G8784 w/ 1x8 threads. It looks like this old one is still available from G. I have not seen the new version, except in the picture.