Thread: Trend Airshield Pro

Trend Airshield Pro

Does anyone have experience with the Trend Airshield Pro? I notice Packard has a deal on the combo package right now. For some kinds of turning, it certainly seems like dust protection would be a good idea. Thanks

I bought one about a year ago and love it. Before my poor nose -- and for sure my poor lungs as well -- were full of colored junk from whatever I was sanding. Now I leave the shop clear, and breating great! I'm sure there are better and more expensive options, but I would still make this purchase again.

I am a very recent owner of one. Before I used the dust collector and safety glasses. Loud and glasses give me a headache. The sheild is great and the fan keeps the inside fog free. I still wear earplugs (the soft foam kind) just to protect my ears. It isnt loud without but I prefer to be cautious. Battery is suppose to last 8 hours and so far it has done better. One charge and a couple hours of turning everynight and its still running. Draw back is it takes 16 hours to charge fully from empty. I have two though. $70 each however. So with careful planning when you got close to the 8 hours you could throw it on the charger at the end of the night and it would be ready for you the next day. If you are the kind of person that turns or does work with your head down you could get a sore neck. The trend isnt heavy but it is on top of your head and that adds strain to a bent over neck. The sheild is wide and you have a good view in all directions so that helps. I suspect that any other brand of on head air system would cause the same amount of strain or more on your neck. With that being said I use mine everytime I turn and will continue to do so. My sinuses appreciates the quality of air they now receive. I just want to reitterate that the neck strain and battery charge times are the smallest of small gripes for me. No way are they deal breakers. Simply a "heads up" if you will.

4. I have had mine about 6 months. I wish I had gotten it when they first came out on the market. My nose used to have sawdust in it after sanding even with a dust mask. Now, no dust in my nose, or my lungs!!! V

VERY WISE investment in my health!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Bought one for this Christmas and wish I had it years ago.....Super deal from Packard.

I think it would be a wise idea and a good choice. After several bronchial and sinus infections over the first 3 yrs of turning from breathing dust I decided enough was enough after my last bout in which I got a slight case of pneumonia. Have been good to go for the last couple of years.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have had mine for about two years and I love it. My daughter wears it when she turns. Great when sanding drywall or grinding concrete or anytime you want full face protection. I am not as impressed with the ear protectors and may have to add the foam plugs as well. But the fresh air and the head protection are fantastic.

I've had mine for over a year and really like it. I get more than 8 hours on a charge. Only took a couple time turning with it to get used to the weight and fan noise, don't notice either any longer.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I got mine on sale at Sears of all places. I have had it about 2 years a like it. I had to replace the front shield once because I didn't have a new shield liner when it needed to be replaces. Learned the hard way. There was another thread here not too long ago that suggested using sheet protectors you get at places like Office Max. Much cheaper than the $3 per for the real thing.

I like mine.
    The 2 things that are slightly negative for me- not enough for a deal breaker.

1) Neck can get sore with the extra weight on the head. Need to remember to take breaks and move around some.
    2) The shield does not raise up high enough for me. When I raise the shield, the liner that fits around the face hangs down and blocks my vision. I usually just take it off if I need to raise the shield.

have it-love it- I would highly recommend it!

Airshield Pro = yes

I find it liberating to put a faceshield on in the morning and then move from tool to tool with no further thought for eye protection or anything else. I just work. Very nice. The 3M might be a slightly better unit but I'm not sure it's $400 better.

Are you referring to Packard's offer for the Pro Pack? It seems that his price for the Airshield itself is a normal price, in fact a little higher than Amazon. I've been wondering about this since he says it's a sale price.

Blog Entries
    Be Warned: protect your airways. I am now 70 and a life time of breathing wood & metal dust, high concentrations of VOCs as a process engineer in a plant that used, ketones, toluene, xylene, butyl alcohols have now left my lungs with acute bronchitis the past three months. Also sinus problems. I had not been exposed to sanding dust for about 18 months due to double total knee replacement. Knees are now great, was just about to start turning again, sanding, etc. , all the stuff we do and it was as if a switch was flipped in September and I suddenly had acute bronchitis, first time ever. No problems prior. I now understand that is the way these problems can develop. It is much like the smoker who has not smoked in ten years and still develops lung cancer. My problem is vastly improved and I will be lucky if it does not develop into COPD, pulmonary fibrosis, chronic acute bronchitis. All of these maladies go together if the bronchia are permanently scarred. A spiral CT in 12 days will determine if long term damage has occurred I am ordering a Trend Air Shield Pro and if improvement continues I hope to be turning, making dust by February. Note too that the last 12-13 years I ran both a Jet suspended from ceiling air filter and an external exhaust with flex pipe directly exhausting shavings and dust. I only wore a mask but occasionally. My bad judgement, don't you be guilty. I think a lot of my damage occurred too in the early years before OSHA became active in the industrial workplace and little was mentioned about personal air filters. Thanks everyone for the input on the Trend as I had been actively researching personal air filtering the past two months. I saw something the other day I will paraphrase to this topic; would you rather be inconvenienced a few hours a day or dead 24 hours a day. This nasty stuff can trim 10-15 years from your life expectancy with great misery before you check out. I think it would be difficult to turn with an O2 tank strapped to your side, I am sure it has been done.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.