Thread: Bosch "Panel Ready" Dishwasher

Question Bosch "Panel Ready" Dishwasher

Does anyone know the details of how to mount the customer-supplied wood panel to the current Bosch dishwashers? I'm looking at getting a Series 500 model but I can't find anything but the dimensions. I'd like to make a two-panel front like the one shown here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...odel&p=1414754

The Bosch online Installation Instructions brochure states that you can either put on a single-door or door-plus-drawer-front, but gives no mounting details. They say the details come with the dishwasher.

Even though I'm a turner, I'm pretty sure I can do it. I just don't like going into the project without knowing what I'm up against.

Thanks in advance!
    Art

I don't really know for sure but when you do a refrigerator there is metal trim that goes around the edges of the door that will hold in the panel & I suspect the dishwasher is the same.Try this place for your answer........ths.gardenweb.com/forums.......Appliances forum
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 12-28-2010 at 4:18 PM.

Question Kitchen Aid: Yes. Bosch: Apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    ...when you do a refrigerator there is metal trim that goes around the edges of the door...
    My old KitchenAid was that way, but it seems they now attach with fasteners to the door like the one in the referenced thread.

Here's the door part-list exploded diagram. Looks like any fastener you like if you can make it fit, but no hint of a screw hole in find no. 205, which means you'd better take it off before you start drilling.
    Bosch DW door parts.jpg

I grew weary of tormenting the dealer--they never did find out anything about how the panels attach--and called Bosch in Huntington Beach. They supply adhesive-backed Velcro. Yay! I can just measure for the velcro locations by holding my finger against my arm (like crackers demonstrate how big a fish was) and won't have to remove the backing panel.

Velcro!! Yikes. I put a panel on a Fisher & Paykel last year, and they at least use screws. But I'm coming up on a panel-ready Meile, and they're like Bosch -- as far as I can tell, they keep secret how the thing is fastened on.

I have no problems if it's good industrial-quality Velcro and if the adhesive is good. There's an adhesive widely used in RVs (and industrial applications, too) called "Eternabond" that is simply amazing. Prep the surfaces properly and it's still pliable and holding on for dear life in 10 years. A #8x1/2" screw in a vibration/shock environment ain't nothing to hang your hat on.

Time will tell, hopefully to my heirs...

It is amazing how the dealers don't have a clue. They must not sell many panel-readys, or are afraid to say the V-word.

BTW, for those not interested in making their own panels (as I said, I'm mostly into turning), Rockler sells custom-made panels in several wood varieties and several edge/panel treatments. Just ordered mine for $!30 with free shipping today. I ordered a drawer and a door that will make the D/W look like the adjacent cabinets. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5986 (Not sure what that one (out of eight) reviewers did, but the review was ugly. The others were 5/5.)

I hope.

I have 2 Bosch dw's and I believe the fronts are held on with screws from the inside of the door. These models are the ones that have no controls showing on the fronts. There is no frame surrounding the wood and the drawer/door combination is constructed just like the rest of the kitchen. I didn't really pay too much attention when I had one of the units serviced, but I'm positive that there's no velcro involved as the false fronts are constructed like the rest of the drawers and doors and are solid maple, i.e. very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Kelly View Post
    Does anyone know the details of how to mount the customer-supplied wood panel to the current Bosch dishwashers? I'm looking at getting a Series 500 model
    From one Art to another...

I've had a Bosch DW for almost 10 years and would NEVER get another one like that. We bought it because we were sold on the water-saving features. The problem is that it does NOT have a food grinder in it. The result is that ever few months I am digging in the bottom because the intake has clogged. Popcorn kernels are the worst, but corn and other bits of food can also get down there and plug the bottom inlet.

Never again. The next DW I buy WILL have a food grinder in it.
    "It's Not About You."

I just checked -

I have the SHV- series of machine, controls on the inside rim of the door with nothing showing on the outside. There are 10 screws along the inside perimeter of the door holding the decorative panel on the front, which in my case are driven into the stiles and top rail of the panel.

Regarding the lack of a grinder, there is a filter that should be cleaned periodically. I scrape the plates before loading but don't rinse them at all. The only other annoyance is that the machine dries the contents by heating the water and then allowing that retained heat to do the drying, which doesn't work on plastic items like tupperware. Everything else dries just fine. On the plus side, you can put plastic on the bottom rack without concern for plastic items melting or distorting. I believe most if not all of the European-designed machines exclude a food grinder, or at least they did when I purchased mine about 8 years ago. Other than the drying plastic issue and having to scrape chunks off before loading, I think it's a great machine and wouldn't hesitate to stick with Bosch.