Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIBRATION during start up and or ?

VIBRATION during start up and or ?

Epilog owners... any idea. This happen during start up and my last few projects. If I move the I beam to it's furthermost point it happens. I've cleaned both x and Y.. and relubed...

I have an order that I can't fill...until this is fixed..dooh
    Thanks
    Last edited by GLENN BRADDY; 12-28-2010 at 3:16 PM.

Glenn:
    My EXT sometimes makes a weird noise, I guess you could call it a vibration. This occurs on startup and initial boot when the head is setting itself to home. I have made several attempts at resolving this, but have been unsuccessful. Doesn't seem to have any particular pattern to when it occurs, it also doesn't seem to hurt anything and at the moment, it's not doing it. So, I just run it and continue on and put up with the noise when it happens.

Glenn, please post the type of machine you have in your signature. It will help in solving issues you may bring to the forum.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

#1--does your carriage move freely when not powered up, or do you feel "slight" hesitant areas. I have removed "gunk" from the valleys of the pulleys with a toothpick and things were back to normal

#2--I assume you have servos, these sometimes do this type of thing for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Bruce

Thanks Larry and Bruce
    I fixed the problem ... PRAISE GOD!!!! The Encoded just needed a really GREAT CLEANING!!!!! I cleaned both!
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Trotec Speedy 360 80 watts, Corel x8, AI, PhotoShop CS8
    Epilog Legend 24EX 35 Watt (DOA) still selling parts,(some stil in the box or package)
    Universal VLS4.60 60 Watt (leaving soon)

well maybe I was wrong
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Epilog Legend 24EX 35 Watt (DOA) still selling parts,(some stil in the box or package)

I have no idea if it'll help your issue, but on many encoder related issues, you are advised to swap the ends of the cable on the encoder reader. It has 3 pins and only uses 2 if I recall correctly. You can unplug it from the board, then the head, then swap the ends, plug it back up and try it.

I only mention that because you mentioned the encoder strip.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

here is the picture of what it is doing.. the previous owner said weather might create this?
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN BRADDY View Post
    the previous owner said weather might create this?
    Yeah, maybe if you were in bad weather on a boat in the ocean.

You need to call Epilog tech support. They are there, it's free, and you'll get expert advice instead of people guessing (like me).
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

thanks Scott... but tech support is off until next year and so I just thought I would throw it out there...
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Tech support is closed all week? That's crazy. I understand why you'd ask here then!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Yeah, maybe if you were in bad weather on a boat in the ocean.

You need to call Epilog tech support. They are there, it's free, and you'll get expert advice instead of people guessing (like me).
    WOW! LOL, I'm not even sure that being in a boat would cause that! That is definitely a tech support problem. What did you clean the encoder strip with? Your only supposed to use distilled water.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I did clean the encoder with distilled water. But First I cleaned it with dry Q-tip. After I did that... it was great. ... Then I did a few labels and it was back. and it's a chatter / vibration
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Glen, did you do as Scott suggested..reverse the ends with the encoder strip? If you cleaned it and it straightened out, doesn't it make sense that it is related to the encoder strip?

If I'm understanding the issue correctly, the "chatter / vibration" that you speak of is the servo motor trying to "find itself", and when it can't, it will turn cw/ccw trying to find it's position as reported by the encoder.

If you cleaned the encoder disc once, and it temporarily resolved the issue, sound like you need further cleaning.

Did you use any canned air to blow out anything in the optical interrupter that the disc fits in?
    Did you check all the cabling from the encoder back to it's source?
    Did you check to make sure nothing has come loose?

In the photo you posted, I see the top is wiggly, and the bottom is good.
    Which occurred first? The wiggly or the clean engraving?
    If wiggly came first: it seems the it had an unknown position, then found itself.

I'd take the time to break things down and do a good inspection.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

The only time I've seen anything like Glenn's problem was when the screw holding the mirror/lens to the moving carriage came a bit loose on my Epilog.
    Might be worth a check.

PS According to an email from Epilog, they are manning the tech support for emergencies this week by email and are there on the phone between 1:00 and 2:00 each day.
    Last edited by Michael Hunter; 12-29-2010 at 9:04 PM.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK