Thread: Tool Manuals & Extra Parts Storage

Question Tool Manuals & Extra Parts Storage

I’ve got several large tools that I just acquired and they all come with manuals and in most cases, assembly tools and extra parts. (By extra, I don’t mean ‘left over where the heck do these go’ parts).

Anyone have a good storage system for these needed items? The original plastic bags are crap. I’m thinking of a file cabinet with dividers or something. Don’t know, I’m not OCD, so as of now, they are spread all over my shop.
    How do you organize this stuff?

Greg A.
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

Cool In the plastic bags, all in one tool chest drawer...

I keep mine in their plastic bags because most of the time it's not just one 'manual' but multiple books, single sheets, postcards, etc. I've designated one drawer in my tool chest (down low) to keep them and keep the 'spare' parts there as well, if possible.

If I need to refer to one I just rifle through the stack of plastic bags/packages until I find the one I need and then go from there.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Stathatos View Post
    I keep mine in their plastic bags because most of the time it's not just one 'manual' but multiple books, single sheets, postcards, etc. I've designated one drawer in my tool chest (down low) to keep them and keep the 'spare' parts there as well, if possible.

If I need to refer to one I just rifle through the stack of plastic bags/packages until I find the one I need and then go from there.
    +1 That's exactly what I do unless I have a drawer or shelf near the tool for the "extra perts."
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I keep the manuals in plastic document protectors in large 3 ring binders. I separate them by manufacturer. If possible, the sales receipt is stapled to the manual. On the manual, I write down the date of sale and the serial and model numbers.

For some adjustments, I write down the wrench size in the margin as well as which way to turn the wrench to make an adjustment. For ‘zample to adjust 90 degree setting on the TS: turn the “stop screw” cc if the blade is more than 90 degrees; c if less than 90 degrees. I found that these seemingly minor things save a good deal of aggravation at times as well as numerous trips to the tool box replacing a wrong sized wrench or socket.

As for spare parts, I “stock” very few and keep them in a box. The plastic, bag, smaller box, or plastic jar containing the part is clearly labeled as to what it is for. For some parts, I also write down the thread size, etc., and where purchased. Some of these “common hardware stores parts” aren’t anymore.

Blog Entries
    Manuals go in the file cabinet. Special tools go in a small drawstring bag hung somewhere on the machine.

In the next to the bottom drawer in the tool chest. The bottom drawer would just be wrong.

Ditto what Glenn said except I stick a magnetic strip to the machine and stick whatever tools I need to the strip. Occasionally it means buying an extra wrench or hex key, but it's worth it to have all the tools right there all the time.

Blog Entries
    For manuals, I use small hanging folder plastic bins - you can get them for $5 at Target/Walmart etc. They sit nicely on a shelf up high out of the way. I have a hanging folder for each letter of the alphabet (in some cases where a letter is overfilled, it gets two hanging folders), and manilla folders holding the manuals (etc.) within each. On the front of each manilla folder I have written new price and used price - should something ever happen to me, my wife will have a fighting chance of figuring out how to liquidate the shop (morbid I guess, but practical).
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

All the manuals go in a file cabinet in the shop office and all the extra hardware type parts go in with my hardware. All the hex keys and such that come with are usually made of such cheap, soft metal that they go in the scrap metal bin without ever getting used. Mostly it seems like routers that have spare parts in my shop and all those go in a bin in my router table's top drawer

hanging document holders on each machine=

I bought a bunch of these: http://www.emedco.com/heavy-duty-han...der-rm423.html . Actually got them used from an auto repair place. I keep the documentation AND any specialized tools hanging somewhere on the machine itself. I never have to hunt for the replacements knives for my Hammer, nor do I have to wade through a ton of stuff to read about making a rarely-done adjustment to a machine for which I can't recall the procedure. They're roomy enough for a couple of wrenches, the manual, sometimes an extra part or two.

Phil

I try and find a pdf file for each manual and download to the computer in my shop. Most companies (except craftsman) have these available. I store the original manuals in a box on a top shelf somewhere.

When I have some time, I scan a few Craftsman manuals, however, sometimes you can find where someone has a done this and posted them for download.

I try to keep the associated tools (wrenches, allen wrenches, etc) with the machine itself, either with a hook, velcro, or magnet. Some of them get a small plastic case (school supply box) and kept with the machine.

I think I have almost 200 manuals on pdf, from a pump up sprayer to my table saw, and everything in between. This saves an amazing amount of storage space, and I never have to wonder where I put the book. I put any associated guides, tips, articles, etc. in the same file as the manual so I can easily reference these also.

Now if I could just find a place for those pesky magazines--

My "spare parts" are not all that much; motor brushes, new router collets, etc. Those are stored in clearly labeled zip-loc bags in my "parts drawer". I spent much more time organizing my nut & bolt collection to find what I need; when I need it! Every SAE or Metric size separated by thread size, but not necessisarily length, unless there are a bunch.

As for manuals and parts lists, pages are mounted back to back in those plastic sleeves, kept in 3-ring binders. Handy! I have a big binder for Rockwell/Delta. One for Porter-Cable. Another for Powermatic. MISC covers everything else. Most of my "manuals" were printed from online sources, so preservation of the original is not an issue. Those sleeves are great for keeping greasy fingerprints off the paper while in shop use. Same goes for articles and plans Xeroxed from magazines wayy before .pdfs were invented.

I find it much easier to use a hard copy of plans or manuals in the shop, rather than try to look at a 'puter screen. No laptop crashing to the floor either!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 12-28-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    I need the manuals in the shop (garage), so I dedicate one cabinet to those. I mark with post-it tags ares that reference most. Also keep spare saw blades there as well. For spares and necessary tools they are kept on the machine in a labeled ziplock bag.

I make a point of having the manuals in PDF form on my computer as well.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 12-28-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added commentary
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

At our house every electric or gas powered tool's manual goe into one of 3 looseleaf binders along with the sales slip and the serial number information.. Workshop, Household,or Yard. The binders are stored in the shop, 1st floor bathroom, or a garage shelf respectively. Any specialty tools which came with the machine along with spare parts like shear pins for the snowblower go into magic marker labeled heavy duty zip lock bags in either the garage, the shop, or the bottom right hand drawer of the vanity in the first floor bathroom. This way we can always find what we need near to where it is being used.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH