Thread: Ghosts in the house?

Ghosts in the house?

Ok, twice in the last two days I've gone down to my basement workroom and have found the lights on in the bathroom adjacent to my workroom. I've been the only one in my family in the basement during this time period and I do not recall using the "facilities" in either case.

The bathroom lights are on a different circuit breaker than the workroom. The lights are controlled by one 2-way sliding dimmer switch w/ a horizontal on/off toggle. The switch shares a switch box with a digital timer for the bathroom ceiling fan (which was not turned on.) Everything else on the same circuit breaker seems to be working properly.

The only other point is that I recently completed a circuit breaker "mapping" of every light fixture and receptacle in the house. Everytime Iturned the circuit breaker off/on for this particular circuit, the GFCI in the circuit would trip. Simply resetting the GFCI would turn the circuit back on.

Do I have a faulty dimmer switch? (It's about 7 years old.) Is my GFCI issue related? Should I be looking in the yellow pages for my local chapter of Ghosthunters?
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

I would start with the dimmer switch. It's a test for less than $15. I'm not an electrician but I can't think of anything the would cause a recurring on in the GFCI system. As for the other, put some flour on the floor and look for footprints. That works on TV.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Usually this is a case where you thought you turned off the light but didn't. On the other hand, I have experienced stranger unexplained things. Curiosity forces me to ask, how old is your house?

In addition to the flour trick, try a bit of masking tape on the switch after turning it off.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Bob,

In the engineering world there's actually a term for this... senility.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Save your money. Definitely ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Usually this is a case where you thought you turned off the light but didn't. On the other hand, I have experienced stranger unexplained things. Curiosity forces me to ask, how old is your house?

In addition to the flour trick, try a bit of masking tape on the switch after turning it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Bob,

In the engineering world there's actually a term for this... senility.
    Arrrrrgggggh!!!

I realized.....after some hard thinking.....that I actually went into the bathroom twice - once yesterday to get something out of the closet and once today to put it back. I did not use the "facilities". Probably turned the light on both times and forgot to turn it off (mind has been occupied the past couple of days - MIL & DIL had a "verbal disagreement" Xmas day and I've been mending fences ever since...). The senility explanation seems to fit.

But if the light's back on tomorrow, I'm going to freak out.....
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."