Thread: Seeking advice re the ACM Star 400 bandsaw

Question Seeking advice re the ACM Star 400 bandsaw

ACM are the makers of the Laguna bandsaws. The Star 400 specs are very similar to those of the old Laguna LT 16HD.

There appears to be a really good deal right now on these bandsaws in Toronto. I can pick one up at the Toronto warehouse for $2,349 (cdn) which is about $1,920 (US). This price includes a mobility kit.

Unless I learn something quite bad about this saw in the next day or so, I plan to buy it.

By the way, the fact that a MINI Max whatever is a better saw is not a good reason to stop this purchase. Mini Max has simply priced themselves out of reach in Canada.

If that saw is a clone of the Laguna LT-16HD, I don't think you'll be disappointed, Frank. And if you can get the ceramic guides that would be a plus also IMHO. Another thing would be if it is an exact duplicate, as far as blades go, you could also get the Re Saw King, although that would probably have to come from Laguna. If you do any amount of re-sawing it is a fantastic blade. The price is mighty nice also. I think you better jump on that deal real quick. Waiting to see that puppy set up in the new shop.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Frank --

My LT16HD arrived with two manuals (in November 2000). The one written by ACM is in Italian, and mostly has wiring diagrams and exploded drawings. The one written by Laguna is in English, and mostly has text about machine operation. The ACM manual says it is for the Star line of saws, and does include the Star 400.

The differences you might see between a Star version and a Laguna version of the same saw might be: the size, and country of origin, of the motor; the blade guide design; and the existence, and design, of a rip fence. I'm not saying they will be different, just that they might be different. Fundamentally it is the same saw.

Jamie

Likely a very good deal, Frank. The nameplate isn't the important thing so much as the tool, itself. If you can get local service, that's even better.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Likely a very good deal, Frank. The nameplate isn't the important thing so much as the tool, itself. If you can get local service, that's even better.

Well, the nameplate which is riveted to my LT16HD is from ACM. There is a decal elsewhere that says Laguna, but the nameplace is ACM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Frank --

My LT16HD arrived with two manuals (in November 2000). The one written by ACM is in Italian, and mostly has wiring diagrams and exploded drawings. The one written by Laguna is in English, and mostly has text about machine operation. The ACM manual says it is for the Star line of saws, and does include the Star 400.

The differences you might see between a Star version and a Laguna version of the same saw might be: the size, and country of origin, of the motor; the blade guide design; and the existence, and design, of a rip fence. I'm not saying they will be different, just that they might be different. Fundamentally it is the same saw.

Jamie
    Thanks Jamie. There are a lot of differences between the Star 400 and the new Lanuna LT16HD -for example: resaw height, motor, guides, weight (the ACM is about 40 pounds lighter). But the only difference that I can see between the Star 400 and the old Lanuna LT16HD is the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I am still checking up on it, but it does appear that I can get (somewhat) local service.

Frank,

I think you will be very happy with that saw. I also think you will like the 'euro roller' style guides guides. The price sounds about right for a saw of that quality.