Thread: Who's using Bench Cookies?

Who's using Bench Cookies?

I admit, I thought they were mostly a gimmick when they first came out.
    So did a lot of other posters - based on the responses to an old thread here...

Now, I see them show up more and more in the background in pictures of people's shops & under quite a few things people take pictures of.

I'm giving serious consideration to having my wife add a set as a "filler" item when she buys stuff from Amazon and needs a couple of bucks to make up enough for free shipping.

You should check out the reviews on Amazon. Most people think they are not value because they are essentially blocks with anti-skid material. Something you can make yourself on the cheap in any size and shape.

I use mine regularly. Yes I could make something that serves the same purpose, but want to use my shop time for other things. I have a set from Rockler paid about $10 on sale. I also have a set by Bench Dog, about $10 at the box store.

They are great for lifting things off the table......but.....they won't hold on hardboard. I have taken to laying out my router mat and then using the cookies. I have to admit though that I like the rack hanging under one of my wall cabinets. It makes me feel complete!

I have a set and love them. I have seen many posts that say you can save a buck or 2 making your own. We are alking about $10. The cookies have more grip than anything I have come across.

I use mine a lot, they are very handy for a lot of things I also have the new tops that are really nice for painting and finishing.

I was given a set of 4 and liked them so much I bought another set of 4.

I have a bunch of those little painters triangles but have never liked them much because they slide around so bad. When they came out with the the little covers that fit over the cookies I bought them and love them. They cover the cookie so no finish gets on them.

I agree you could make them yourself but I am just to lazy I guess.

I like them. One big thing I like is that you don't have to worry about something on your bench denting your work which occasionally happened even when using a mat on the bench. I haven't had a need yet but I can see them being useful for edge routing because of raising up the work.

Yeah, you could make them. Mouspads had the same material. A couple mouse pads, some glue, and some chunks of wood is all you'd need. I personally don't think its worth the time for the $12 you'd save.

i got 8 with the hanging rack and the painters points. i'll be contacting rockler tomorrow about the exchange for something more useful.

I have two sets and use them regularly.

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I bought a set a few weeks ago, and they have been just great for sanding and elevating the work off the bench. I often would put blocks of wood underneath for glue ups and such, these are much better, and IMHO, cheap.

Like mine. Got another set with the risers that fit into 3/4" holes. (Workbench dog holes in my case.)
    Putting them into the dog holes keeps them spaced nicely and the height is good enough to even
    use a saber saw. I usually use non-powered hand tools though, and they are too wobbly for that.
    Still, there are times they are handy.

Eric

I like mine a lot. In fact I asked for and received another set for Christmas.

Shane