Thread: $$$ Sawmill Creek ???

$$$ Sawmill Creek ???

How is SMC supported? I have found it to be the best source of woodworking info on the web. I have learned alot from this forum, how can I give back?

Brian

Brian, so happy to hear you enjoy our little community as much as you do! I kinda' like it here, too! As for help in supporting it, drop Jackie Outten a line. She's basically the CFO here and can fill you in on what promotional items may still be available. We've had SMC caps and other articles, which come out for sale, with proceeds helping the cause. I think there was something in the works for coffee mugs or such, as well. (Good for me, 'cuz I don't wear hats, but drink a LOT of coffee! ) There have also been a number of folks who have just contributed outright donations, most recently in helping with a server upgrade. Any and ALL such donations or purchases are totally and completely voluntary. Our gracious host, Keith Outten, pledged to keep this wonderful piece of the Internet free of ads and solicitations and has been good to his word! I agree that this is about the best source of WW information offered anywhere and we have it at our disposal with just a few keystrokes! Just don't get no better than that!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Just to add to John's post. Freedom Pen Project can always use more help with kits and Shipping cost. Jackie would also be albe to help with more information.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Brian,

SawMill Creek has one sponsor who provides server space, bandwidth and system administration for our forums. Hampton Roads Online is a small Internet Service Provider in Yorktown Virginia that I started over ten years ago. Our company is just about as small as it can get based on the impact of broadband and overseas web hosting and we know that it is just a matter of time before we must close the doors.

We still have plenty of time to make arrangements for SMC so that we will be able to continue as far into the future as we dare to plan. We do have an alternate ISP in our local area that provides server co-location space and they run a nation-wide network. Before that happens we must find the resources to fund the monthly fees. Today Hampton Roads Online is still stable and we are not in any hurry to close the business, in fact were hoping for a miracle down the road that will allow us to continue. The reality is that we will most likely close Hampton Roads Online sometime in 2006, however Aaron, Jackie and I will find a means to keep SMC online, we have no plans to ever shut down SMC.

Aaron and I have recently been discussing various options for SMC that involve obtaining other sponsors and other ways to keep SMC free to the woodworking community without selling advertising which would be the last thing we would do. In the near future we will be discussing our options publicly, it is better to plan ahead than to wait until the last minute to make critical decisions that affect our future.

As a bonus we do have over 3,700 members who will help us find the means to continue. Unlike Badger Pond SawMill Creek is not an experiment, we are a friendly community of woodworkers who will find a way to keep the doors of our digital workshop open for decades to come.

If you want to help the best thing you can do right now is to visit SMC often, wade into the Creek and participate. We do not need short term funding or donations right now, we are stable and our immediate future is secure. The proceeds from sales of hats and coffee mugs are used to pay for our server hardware and software upgrades and as John mentioned above many of our members donated funds to help us purchase the new server we just placed online this week.

Thanks for your offer to help us out, the truth is you are already helping by joining us and contributing to our forums.

Thanks Keith,you all do a first class job. Now, if you could teach the four women I live with (one wife and three daughters) how to say I dont need anything now, you will be placed on the tallest pedestal in Texas.

Brian

How does one buy a hat or give some $$$$$?

Steven -

This is from Jackie last November. Don't know how her plans for the order are coming.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Outen

I have been so busy recently with all the Freedom Pens coming in that I have set that aside. We will probably do the hats and the mugs at the same time after the first of the year.

Jackie

I would be very interested in a Saw Mill Creek hat, I wear lots of hats and would love to show my pride in this forum.

Keith,

One idea that has worked wonderfully on another site that I used to moderate is a Store. The store would have popular items that woodworkers buy online (CA Glue, sandpaper, small tools, etc). The items in the store are priced higher than what you could find as a rock bottom deal online, but people tend to spend the $1 or $2 extra in order to support the site more often than a $5 donation.

Email me directly if you want more info on where this store is located, etc. The forum is not woodworking related, so you would not be stealing an idea from a "competitor". The founder of the site is very open to helping others out with ideas to start up a store.

Jeff

Hi everybody,

I will be getting back with you shortly about the hats and mugs.

Thanks.

Jackie

I know that I said I would but a hat last year and then I lost my job and all heck broke loosee money wise for us. I WILL get a hat and 2 coffee mugs when they become available. Hopefully I will be working at that time.

This is the most helpful WWing site I have found on the web. I don't get much done 'cause I am still trying to figure machines and tools out.
    This site ROCKS!
    Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.