Thread: Lathe help

Lathe help

I picked-up a Powermatic 90 lathe at a school sale a while back and am having a real problem trying to get the face plate off so that I can get my new Stronghold chuck on it. I had to pay more for the chuck then I did for the lathe, but I figured it was worth it The spindle lock plunger was broken off so I had to use a screw driver to keep the spindle from turning. I have a pipe wrench on the face plate and cant budge the face plate for nothing. Even broke the tip of the screw driver off twice! I have used kr-oil on it to loosen it, and have even tried a blow torch with no avail. I had to use a 2 lb sledge hammer to drive the center spur out. The MT hole for the spur was full of compressed sawdust so I suspect that it may be the reason that the spur was so hard to remove. That could be the problem with the face plate also. Any suggestions?
    Scott

It sounds like you are going to have to sacrifice that faceplate but I would try to lock the spindle with something which fits it tightly and is about as hard. You don't want to mar the hole in the spindle and have another problem on your hands. You are going to have to get a long handled pipe wrench or something similar to get the leverage to bust that seal. Might want to try Liquid Wrench every hour or so just to make it penetrate then muscle it.

What kind of thread is it? Right hand or Left hand? nm

What kind of thread is it? Right hand or Left hand? nm
    phil

It should come off CC I believe(As you look at it from the tail stock). That is the way that the stronghod chuck un-threads