Thread: Train Table

Train Table

Well I tried the search and could not really find what I am after.

Does anyone have an example of a train table for children that you could post? Any plans? I am going to build one for my son for his B Day in March. I am thinking about one that has a drawer on the bottom so that we can store track, trains, parts, etc.

Any help and posts are appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Blog Entries
    I googled "train Table Plans" and found several links. Here's one. Train tables Several had drawers under the table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee-

I am thinking building mine out of oak. There are several there to give me a few ideas.

How big? That will dictate your options.
    Paul

Matt,

A train layout can be a "lifetime" work. I am not a train person, but did make a table and track layout about 40 years ago for my boys. We did not stay with it, but a track layout and available room space dictated size. A table seems to be a work in progress for most. Good luck. Are your going to finish it before Christmas??????????

Well the layout will be half sheet of plywood. I am thinking about building the table and inputing the top, then purchasing track, etc. I am trying to get it done for his birthday in march.

My kids love their train table, purchased used from a garage sale. It is particle board and not the most sturdy. If building one, I would make sure it supports the weight of two enthusastic toddlers that always seem to want to crawl on top of it. I can take some measurements if that helps you. Keep in mind the radius of the track layouts, too narrow would get frustrating and might limit creativity in layouts. We play legos and puzzles on the table top in addition to trains.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Matt,
    do you mean a train layout like HO scale trains or a train table for thomas the trains? If it is the latter my suggestion is to go into your local toys r us with a tape measure and measure up the tables they have in there. They look small but are actually a good size because toddlers can reach from both sides etc. My father did that and made one for my nephews and they outgrew it and now it is in our house for my son. I think he made the whole thing out of one sheet of plywood.

If you want something more to scale and realistic like HO scale then i would try to see if there is a local model RR club in your area that you can see what they have done and get some of their advice and possible help.

Greg

We had an old Brio painted particle board train table (just the top, meant to lay on the floor) and I built a table for it. In the picture here the Brio top is flipped upside down and is not painted on the underside, just varnished. I made it for my 3 year old nephew, but wanted them to be able to re-purpose it later as a coffee table. Baltic birch plywood.. pattern made on my cnc router. Has a shelf that runs the length underneath to put plastic containers on.

Sorry everyone Thomas Train set.

Eric that is is nice example! How did you make the "wavy" pattern on the upper side panels? Nicely done! I like the storage underneath as well.

Thanks, I made the wavy pattern on my cnc router. It's 3/4 plywood and I did a series of pocket cuts using the cnc router to get that desired look. Like in the upper corner of the middle area, I left some of the outside face flush to bring the linework across to add to the design, then pocketed down 3 times, each time I think was less than 1/8th inch, with each pocket using different, offset linework to give the stepped look. This is the type of thing that is simple on a cnc... took longer to design and toolpath than it did to cut. So it's all the same solid piece of plywood, nothing was tacked or glued on to make that design.