View Poll Results: Which did you spend the most on?

Voters
1162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Band Saw

122 10.50%
  • Dust Collector

58 4.99%
  • Drill Press

4 0.34%
  • Jointer

50 4.30%
  • Lathe

200 17.21%
  • Planer

77 6.63%
  • Sander/Surfacer

43 3.70%
  • Shaper

9 0.77%
  • Table Saw

506 43.55%
  • Other

93 8.00%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Which piece of equipment did you spend the most on?

Shaper. If you combine all the cutters, coping sled and/or powerfeed.

After that it'd be the widebelt.

I voted "Dust Collector", my table saw is a very old saw that cost more time than money. I have a nice lathe and large bandsaw but both are home-made so they also cost more time than money. Also have a home-made small CNC router. The dust collector was the most expensive only in terms of $.

Dust collection (Oneida) and ducting for now but when I get the tablesaw I want, it will probably win out.

Mine is in the "Other " catagory: My $2450 Hegner polymax scroll saw....................
    This is the tool I use the most also.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

If you include all the accessories, my table saw. I bought my late-90's vintage Unisaw new in the crate in 2004, for $800; put at least another $800 into fence (Mule Accusquare), blades (mostly Freud) and a mobile base. My Powermatic 180 planer comes in a distant second, as I paid $750 for it but added another $130 set of knives. The Grizzly G0500 jointer is third at about $750, but I've added two sets of knives and a mobile base. Everything else was under $500. I have no interest in 'upgrading' anything I have, except maybe putting Byrd spiral heads on the jointer and planer, and maybe a cyclone DC to replace the Shop Fox 2-bagger.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

We hit the big 300!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I had to vote "other" because three of my major machines cost within dollars of each other. All were exceptional bargains, costing 1/2 or 1/3 of New! But, still Big Ticket items to me!

For decades, the Rockwell RC33 planer, bought barely used in 1985 was my biggie at $900. It has certainly earned it's keep in over 20 years of constant use. That old planer is bullet-proof!

But, within the past 3 years I've gone on a spending spree! The Woodmaster 3820 double drum sander is my biggie at $1200. Powermatic 66 TS with Exaktor slider and overarm blade guard, $1175. Oneida 3hp DC with miles of ducting, gates, and Long Ranger remote, $1100.

The DC is the most used "machine" in the shop. It runs when any other operation produces dust and chips. Milling rough lumber into something finished takes what several machines do best. They all earn their keep. Even the 4 working shapers with power feeds. Shapers are my weakness and my blessing. I have a total of seven that cost me less than any two of the above big ones together.

I've been very blessed to find good machinery at paltry prices. I have not bought new machines since my Craftsman Days of the '70s. If I had to buy new now, I would have either many less machines, or much less quality in the shop!

Happy New Year!!
    ~Chip~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Chip, not quite sure I understand. If your sander is your biggie at $1200, why didn't you vote sander?
    I drink, therefore I am.

The only big money item I've bought new was my planer, so that won out for me. Spent $400 on it. My bandsaw was bought off a guy that used it for one job for $200, and my recently aquired first table saw was a heck of a deal at "come pick it or I'm throwing it away." My small drill press was a Christmas gift from the in-laws a couple of years ago, so I guess when I really think about it, I'm doing pretty good with out of pocket expenses. Thanks for making me thin about this, maybe now I can justify the purchase of a couple of toys!

I voted other too. The Felder CF 741, sliding table saw, shaper, jointer, planer combo wins pretty easily in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Chip, not quite sure I understand. If your sander is your biggie at $1200, why didn't you vote sander?
    Mike, in order to explain, I have to remember my thought processes in the A.M. today. Lemme see...my three biggies were within $100 of each other. I feel they are all equally BIG! At least for me. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Fair enough, Chip. Didn't mean to hound you. Sorry.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I spent the most on my Oliver #66 lathe. Not really a gloat but still got it for quite a bit less than $1 per pound, but then it weighs 6,000#.

TS bought new, GO605X

I haven't jumped into the cyclone market yet, but I imagine it could get costly.

And I've been itching for a brand new shinny BS

So is there a poll for future spenders?
    I'm in transition from hobby shop, to professional shop. I'm about to go in deep.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

358 votes! Holy Cow! And here I thought we were done about 100 votes ago. Glad to see the turners started voicing. This puts the order at TS, Lathe, BS, Other. Wish I had had more options to include jointer/planer combos and such that filled the "other" catagory. Would have been nice to get an accurate count of what the Others are. Maybe when this seems done, and I have spare time, I'll read through all the posts to see if I can figure out what the majority of Others were...

Also glad to see that DP got another vote. No longer a lonely catagory...
    I drink, therefore I am.