Thread: My 2nd Turning - Acorn Lidded Box

My 2nd Turning - Acorn Lidded Box

I know the pictures arent up to par but that is something I will have to work on down the road, right now I am just trying to learn the basics of turning. All comments, and critics are welcome. One thing I found after I turned the lid was the very tiny microscopic cracks appeared up near the stem of the cap. I hadnt even seen them until I put the finish on, I dont know if this is something inherent in the wood itself, or something I did.

Acorn lidded box, Rosewood cap, Osage Orange Nut, Mylands friction polish for finish...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a good looking little box, Tim. The cracks near the top may be caused by heat related to excessive sanding unless they were there prior to turning.

3. Nice one Tim! I like the shape and the contrasting woods............You are doing well with your new toy! Congrats!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Really a nice looking box. I agree the cracks look like they could be from sanding heat.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work!! Since the cracks are cross grain, I agree on the heat.

Thanks for all of the nice comments guys, I am having a lot of fun learning while turning. I will have to watch my sanding in the future, I wanted this to come out butter smooth, and it did, its like glass to the touch, I didnt realize that I was heating it up to much. Thanks for the info on that!

cute box, really like the lid on this one.

My only complaint is that it's not bigger! Really nice box Tim!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks everyone!

@ Jim - I know! LOL...the only wood I have is 2" x 2"...I am leavig for rocklers in a few minutes though, I need some larger diameter wood so that I can make things a little bigger. I found a picture of this really cute little box, but it is about 4-5 inches round, so that might be one of my next projects after I finish the one I started last night.