Thread: Pyromaniac turners - where do you get your nichrome wire for your woodburning pens?

Pyromaniac turners - where do you get your nichrome wire for your woodburning pens?

I built a woodburning unit this past weekend. I bought a battery charger on sale, and then bought all the other stuff I needed at the box stores. I also scavenged some 21 gauge wire out of an old heater that didn't work.

Boy that sucker will instantly burn the wood too! Or melt the wires in half!
    And the wires are much too small to do any real burning. They just aren't stiff enough when they get red hot like that.

Just wondering where you get the best deal on nichrome wire?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

McMaster & Carr. I don't know if is the best deal, but they have the sizes you will want and sell it on the spool. Take a look in John's pyro thread. I posted a link that talks about wire size and heat. You will probably need a fan and filter too.

Blog Entries
    Hobby shops have Nichrome. It will also burn up unless you reduce amps. Curious as why you need red heat?
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Don't need red heat, it's just that the charger provides that much current... and it's a bit tetchy when you turn it down...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim: I bought some 18 gauge nichrome on ebay. Under $20.00 is about a lifetime supply.