Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Restoration 1972 34-450 Unisaw

Brian,

Great job! I only have one machine that was bought new and that was this year for Xmas from my wife. (Not supposed to know, but had to help my son unload and move the drum sander to the garage.) I enjoy working on my shop and machinery every bit as much as the things I build with them. You will enjoy your Uni for many years to come.
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

Brian,
    As others have said " Great job". A couple of years ago a woodworker buddy of mine gave me an old Uni. Like you I stripped it to the bone, new paint, replaced all bearings and put a new Biessmeyer fence on it. I bought a new 3hp motor and a good switch mounted like yours. It has been working like a new saw. Built many cabinets and now I am making eight dining room chairs. I did add an 8' x 8' outfeed table . I know you will enjoy your saw! One more time GREAT JOB.

Louis "Art" Reed

Louis,
    Did you end up putting on a magnetic switch? I really debated about upgrading the motor but in the end stuck w/ the 2hp and left that for another day... However, I went back and forth about getting a mag switch versus the one I ended up using..

The outfeed table is the next project. I think mine will be 4'x4' though as I am in a smaller garage and I need it to be storable

Awesome job on the rebuild. Can I ask where you got the switch for the saw? I'm like you always wanted a Uni and bought one years ago new. Could have got a grizzly cheaper but I wanted the unisaw.

Hi Peter:
    http://woodworker.com/onoff-switch-w...h&searchmode=2
    The switch works good, the only thing I found with it is that there is not alot of room inside to stuff wires, especially if your using 12 or 10 ga. I probably should have went with a magnetic switch for more safety but this one works pretty good for the money

Brian
    That is a fantastic restoration you performed, it looks like new saw.
    It is wonderful to see an old piece of equipment restored rather than going to the scrap heap.
    Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wilkens View Post
    Hi Peter:
    http://woodworker.com/onoff-switch-w...h&searchmode=2
    The switch works good, the only thing I found with it is that there is not alot of room inside to stuff wires, especially if your using 12 or 10 ga. I probably should have went with a magnetic switch for more safety but this one works pretty good for the money
    Thanks Brian

Wow, you really turned that into a beautiful piece of equipment. I'm always enamored by the work that people have exerted into these restorations. Well done!!!
    chris

awesome post, thanks for the great pics. I am hopeful I can find a decent priced unisaw, I've been wanting to do a restoration for a while. great job.

What did you use for the paint, looks awesome.

awesome job thanks for the post.

You did a masterful job on the resto. I did the same with a 1964 model of the same machine and enjoyed it for years. Hated to let it go after getting a slider, but today I wished I still had it. Would have been nice for joinery related jobs like dadoes, tenons, etc. You will enjoy this for a lot of years and pass it on to the grandkids.

Brian,

WOW, what a great job restoring your saw. All of your hard work, and time spent, gave you a saw that is better than new. Your attention to detail really stands out.

Sam