Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Bowl, 5 inch with Segmented Bottom

Walnut Bowl, 5 inch with Segmented Bottom

Hi All;
    I had a 5.5 inch wide x 2 inch thick piece of Walnut given to me but, it had serious cracks all the way along its length.
    What to do? Try something!
    Cut a Square and put it on the Woodworm.
    Start on the bottom, to get full height I had intended to attach a waste block. So I faced the bottom and turned the piece round. Well, then a mental block, CRAFT, I cut into the bottom at the centre and oops! this is not what I wanted. So I cut a hole about 2 inch diameter and about 3/4 inch deep.
    Now, to make a nice segmented insert. Selected a couple of small Purple Heart and Beech pieces. Did my thing by adjusting my cutting and sanding jigs (made for 12 segments) to new setting for a 6 segment size. It sure is nice to have learned this fascinating new skill (segmenting is such fun).
    The picture tells the story and the outcome.

Bottom has a slight indentation so the bowl will sit flat on the table and it gave me room to sign and number the piece.

P.S. I filled the cracks with coffee grinds and CA (lots of it).
    Thanks for looking and Critiques are welcome.
    Peter F.

You have to love those design changes on the fly. Looks you not only made a good save but have come up with one good looking bowl. Nice job.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Nice peter, I like it, kinda reminds me of the "radiation"(I think thats it) symbol. Looks like a good Hot sauce bowl.

Great save.

Pete, those are beautiful colors....

Great save Peter.

It's only a mistake if you tell somebody it is. Great save and a clever way to save it and add a beautiful design element.

Peter, looks like it was meant to be!! Very nice, and some tight glue lines, too!

I'd say you made the best of a design opportunity. Looks really good.

Had to laugh at the radiation symbol comment, but after he said that it got me thinkin, yep does remind you of that. Anyway, nice looking bowl and I like the radiation symbol in the middle, make the bowl extra special.

Nice work on what I consider to be a difficult form for a bowl - straight-sided. I think your segmented design works well with the color of the bowl!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice save Peter, nice form, and glue lines.

Nice looking save, but my critique would be that it is almost certain to separate at the plug due to wood movement the way that it is designed.

Thanks everyone. I am interested in the comment by Robert.... Could you please elaborate on the background to this. Why would it separate if it is glued into a solid circle. The bottom is 1/4 inch and the sides are consistent 3/32 inch with a slight outward slope, almost straight sided.
    I am sure others would be interested in why such a design might crack.
    thanks
    Peter F.

Peter, I would not have even mentioned it except you asked for a critique. The reason for the instability is that the wood in the plug has absolutely no where to move to. It can't move inward as the points all meet and it can't move outward since it is surrounded by the walnut. The surrounding walnut is also long grain, end grain, and every grain in between. Therefore, all of the wood will move different amounts at different rates. You might never have a single problem, but the odds are probably against it. I think your best bet would have been to use a solid plug with the grain oriented the same direction as the bowl. I hope this helps.

Hi Robert;
    Thank you for the explanation. My reason for being here is to LEARN and that is why I ask for critique. I can only hope that the plug is small enough not to move more than the surrounding Walnut. Time will tell. Putting a "plain" plug in the hole just seemed to be a fix and I would be looking at it like that so I tried to make it interesting.
    Unintentionally I ended up with the Radiation Symbol and it looks real cool now that I see it that way. My Daughter is a professor of BioChemistry and the Nuclear Safety officer for her Laboratory. I will show it to her over the hollidays and see if see gets the same impression.
    Thanks again, comments, critique appreciated.
    "Take a chance, push the envelope and learn something; life is good"
    Peter F.