Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy 0-1 stock?

Neil,

In an attempt to save money you may waste some. Especially if you intend to make irons from this material. All 0-1 is not created equal. Only buy material that guarantees the carbon content. For instance Enco carries two different grades. The Starret 0-1 guarantees carbon content in a range I believe that is .89 to .99 percent carbon, whereas the cheaper variety states a standard make up of .79 to .89. If you get steel thats on the lower end of that range the irons will be less than satisfactory. I buy Presco 0-1 that claims a typical make up of 1.13 percent carbon. Now that's high carbon. I've had very god results with the irons made from this material.

Ron

I'll have to look into that,Ron,since 01 is defined as having at least .90% carbon. I don't understand how they could be offering carbon at .79-.89 and still be calling it 01. You must have had experience with this,though.

P.S. I have googled around,and Presco lists their 01 at .85-1.00% carbon. Exactly where are you seeing Presco at 1.13% ? Now,I am curious. If it starts at .85%,it could be that low,and could still be in the range of all other 01's. Only Starrett states flatly .90% carbon. I'm wondering if any of them can regulate their carbon very close???

USA made in Enco says carbon= .80-.95%. Starrett says .90%. Presco says .85-1.00%.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-21-2010 at 9:36 AM.

George,

I agree that it shouldn't be called 0-1 if it's lower than .90 percent carbon. Presco claims a typical analysis shows 1.13 of course that's not guaranteed but at least there's a good chance it's going to be on the high end. I'm also wondering how then can regulate the carbon content. It probably bears some research. I do think one needs to be wary of the import stuff.

Ron

Found a nice Google book on heat treating while checking on the subject

http://books.google.com/books?id=boK...0steel&f=false

Here is a place to buy Presco @ about $10 less than ENCO for 1/4 x 2 x 36 on size 01
    http://www.flat-stock.com/~store/Mer...ory_Code=PMGFS

Not sure what shipping cost...
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 12-21-2010 at 5:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ditto Enco or MSC, hard to beat the prices & service. Phone in the order before lunch and it arrives next day. Best variety of steels and alloys I am aware without great expense.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    ...I've had very god results with the irons made from this material.

Ron
    I could use some "god results." Are you sure this isn't the same stuff Cosman was peddling here?

could use some "god results." Are you sure this isn't the same stuff Cosman was peddling here?
    Larry I think we could all use some "GOD" results but Cosman gets his results with A2 (grin)

I'm just not an A2 kinda guy!!!

Ron

I had a chance to check out MSC. Their site is a little unclear. Is all of their O1 stock from Starrett?

Appreciate the insight on getting the material from different places. I didn't think about variations in carbon content.

Larry, that comment didn't go unappreciated

As far as I know,MSC sells both Starrett and English imported 01.

A Possibility

http://www.amtektool.com/gfs.html
    I came across this page a few days ago. No experience with it.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Good prices at amtek, but it looks they don't tell you the shipping charges until after ordering.

I checked with a somewhat local steel yard today, and they want $120 for a 18" piece of 3/16x3. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll be going with Enco.

Wow, Neil! That's about 4x what McMaster charges!!!
    Locally, we have Speedy Metals. Depending on current rates, sometimes they can be a lot cheaper than some of the other places. I like them because I can go and pick stuff up, it's real good for pieces that would be expensive to ship.
    Last edited by Mark Baldwin III; 12-22-2010 at 8:32 PM.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Ron Hock who sells blades and irons said his most reliable source is France. Perhaps a note to him on his website might get him to name a wholesaler of steel. Hock goes through quite a lot of it in a year.

Yeah maybe they have free shippping from France

Last time I talked with Ron Hock he said the blade maker was very good...
    Ron was kind enough to send me a free blade and cap iron a few years ago..
    I still have not tried it

That reminds me I need to do some planing and write a review on it
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 12-23-2010 at 12:32 AM.