Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Precision Square Advice

Precision Square Advice

I need to get a REAL precision square.

I'm debating between the Incra Guaranteed Square and the Starett Double square.

The Starett slides and has a rule, which makes it more versatile, but will its slide be reliable enough for setting up jointer fences and the like?

For what it's worth, I have the 4" Starrett double square and I absolutely love it.

Mike

For what it's worth,no ADJUSTABLE square can ever stay as accurate as a good,solid type square. The sliding of the blade eventually will wear the beam enough to cause problems. I have adjustable Starrett squares in 4" and 6" sizes,as well as combination Starrett squares. For real accuracy(for precision metal machining) I always rely upon my solid Starrett or old (but like new)Brown and Sharp squares.

The cheapest way to do it is to get a clear plastic triange from the craft store. Probably the same accuracy as a Starrett for less than $15.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    For what it's worth,no ADJUSTABLE square can ever stay as accurate as a good,solid type square. The sliding of the blade eventually will wear the beam enough to cause problems. I have adjustable Starrett squares in 4" and 6" sizes,as well as combination Starrett squares. For real accuracy(for precision metal machining) I always rely upon my solid Starrett or old (but like new)Brown and Sharp squares.
    +1 to what George said. I have a 4" double square that gets used along with a 6" Starret. But I bought a 3 piece set of Engineer's squares from Enco when they had a sale. I think I bought SPI's. I use them for setup, but use the adjustable squares for my actual layout.

The Groz squares are reasonable for precision squares. For combo squares, I have an Empire. It's as square as it needs to be for anything i'd use a combo square for (i.e. when I'm just scribing a line). That's just my opinion.

I have the plastic artist squares. The problem for me is they lack the wide flat shoulder that lets them sit properly on a table. Further, they can only measure inside angles, not outside ones.

I guess I'll go for the Incra.

Starrett machinist squares - 6" for jointer setup. Smaller 3" is good for blade setups. Watch eBay, as they're pricy new.

I love my stuff from Woodpeckers.
    main_1281.jpg
    http://www.woodpeck.com/1281.html

I wouldn't be without my Starrett combo as it's great for joinery lay out. You can entend it's useful life by lubricating the sliding action. Mine is 17 years old and more than accurate enough for the wood shop or may efforts on metal. This being said I do use a set of machinist sqaures for machine set up.

It's easy enough to detemine if your squares are truly square. Once you have checked it out and you find that it is accurate, use it regardless of the format or manufacturer.

A quality name brand square does give me a good feeling when I use it. Tool snobbery I guess.

A new Starrett 6" solid steel square is not cheap. Fortunately,I have been able to get my squares used,but in fine condition. I have them up to 24",which would have run about $2,000.00 years ago. And,they are REAL heavy!

My master squares are granite,as is my master straight edge. They would not be something suitable for woodworking,though.

I used to take cheap all metal squares,and file them up to match my good squares if I wanted to use them somewhere that I wouldn't use my expensive squares,like around the belt grinder or whee they might get water on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I love my stuff from Woodpeckers.
    main_1281.jpg
    http://www.woodpeck.com/1281.html
    I second it. I also have the triangle too. Both are very well done and comes with jewelery box like well made protective supports that can be attached on the wall.

Definitely not Rockler. I got a precision square from Rockler. Never thought about checking if the "precision" square is precise enough. When did, I was surprised but some considerable time was elapsed. Asked for a replacement which was rejected. Then, I placed a review on their site for the product. It was not "approved". Contacted them they said it was purchased long time ago therefore they were not going to allow to post the review. Now, that feels better...

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    A new Starrett 6" solid steel square is not cheap. Fortunately,I have been able to get my squares used,but in fine condition. I have them up to 24",which would have run about $2,000.00 years ago. And,they are REAL heavy!

My master squares are granite,as is my master straight edge. They would not be something suitable for woodworking,though.

I used to take cheap all metal squares,and file them up to match my good squares if I wanted to use them somewhere that I wouldn't use my expensive squares,like around the belt grinder or whee they might get water on them.
    For $2000 they better be heavy! If I owned one of those I'd wake up at night in a cold sweat and have to go check up on it. "Are you okay sweety? Water? Another blanket perhaps?"

My Bridge City TS-2 try square is my go-to tool when I need something to be really right in the wood shop.

I use several squares, a Bridge City, plastic triangles, Starrett 6" and 12" sliding, and an aluminum speed square and steel framing square.