Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monster System

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haverstock View Post
    Hi Ray,
    I have a similar hollowing setup, I can go about 16 inches deep with mine. I have a Nova 1624 and I added a hinge and bed extention to it . (the bed extention was part of the lathe pachage when I bought it). The hinge and extention are great additions, it is so nice to jut push the banjo and tailstock onto the extention, open the hinge, and add the steady rest. Close the hinge, lock it, and you ready to go. I know that you will enjoy it.

Merry Christmas
    Bob Haverstock

QUOTE=Ray Bell;1587594]Well with the encouragement of John, and David, and a very informative email from John this morning I finally got the Monster put together. Amazingly, I only have about a dozen parts left over still laying on my bench. Actually
    I am excited to try this now, but I think I will order a bed extension for my lathe. The Monster is large.Attachment 174320Attachment 174321Attachment 174322
    [/QUOTE]

Bob, would the hinged extension work on a flat surfaced lathe stand like mine? Does it swing away from you, or towards you?

Thanks, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Oh alright, I'm happy for you... ah, you aren't going to get to use my new-to-me-but-not-new truck. Well maybe...
    Please Paul, can I borrow it.... I only have a ton of gravel, and a couple of loads of manure to haul

Congrats Ray. You are going to love it. Yes Randy does stick extra parts in.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice going Ray, and just in time for Christmas! I don't get to use my mini as much as I'd like to but when I do, Im glad I have it! With that system you'll be doin the big honkin chunks of hollowness. Enjoy.
    mj
    Last edited by Michael James; 12-18-2010 at 7:39 PM. Reason: SpellR

Hi Ray,

Yes, I think it would work, but I would put one sixteenth inch shims under the corners of the lathe. This would allow the extention to swing without rubbing the bench top. The extention swings away from me. ( I hope this post this time)

Bob Haverstock

Bob, would the hinged extension work on a flat surfaced lathe stand like mine? Does it swing away from you, or towards you?

Thanks, Ray[/QUOTE]

WTG Ray. Looks like you can hollow just about anything with your new rig...Bill..

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    lalalalala fingers still in my ears...... I got to stop clicking on the "Monster" threads! You guys are enablers!
    you know you want one...you know you want one...you know you want one...you know you want one...1...2...3 and your awake!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Ray - Congrats on your new system! I have one and love using it!

Just a suggestion - but on my system I have the mount such that it uses the holes closest to your side of the lathe - meaning the bulk of the steady rest is hanging off the back side of the lathe. The reason for this is that you are hollowing from the center of the form on out to the left. That means your D-handle has to be able to move away from you in order to swing the cutter towards you while inside the form. Hope that makes sense - but if not, let me know and I will take a photo to show what I mean.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

nice gloat

Thanks everybody to the nice replies.

Steve, I know what you mean. I mounted it in these holes to keep if further away from the back stop on my bench. It may not matter though. I'll remount it tomorrow and see if the backstop interferes.

Looks like Santa came a few days early to your shop Ray. Congrats on a sweet set up...