Thread: What tree is this?

What tree is this?

Can someone tell me what kind of tree this is? It's growing near Leakey, Texas about half hour North of Uvalde.
    I've been gone a while. Seems like the whole website has changed.WhatTree.jpgWhatTree2.jpgWhatTree3.jpg
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

mmmmh wooden
    Tioraidh an-drasda (gaelic for Cheerio just now)
    Colin .
    One good turn deserves another,

The bark looks familiar but the top doesn't, and since it is in Texas I don't have a clue.

Was thinking about you yesterday when I cut out some biscuit cutters(like the ones you posted quite a while ago) for my kids for Christmas. Lucky kids or what.

It's a "Good sized" varity if I'm not mistaken...and I usually am...
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Looks like Paulownia tomentosa to me.

http://www.texasinvasives.org/observ...?site_id=11001

Ditto the paulownia. The bark is a ringer, and the branch distribution, and bud pattern seems to be just like all the paulownia trees I've seen in VA.

Allen, do you have any idea what the leaves look like? Paulownia has huge heart-shaped leaves that are unmistakable. It is also a horribly invasisve species, but that is another matter.

Thanks, all, for your answers.... yeah, even yours,Colin & Jim....
    Baxter, those gotta be lucky kids.
    Ted, thanks for the link, and Jake, there aren't any leaves around that I've seen. I'll look when we walk by that tree again, tomorrow morning. I'm not turning very much, since it's too cold in the AM... but I'm walking a lot. I only get to turn for a couple of hours in the afternoons, then the sun goes behind the trees, and it gets cold again. But I love this Texas hill country!!
    Once again, I appreciate the answers!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Welcome back Allen. You might ask around there about the tree. It looks a little like China Berry, but I would need to see the berries to be sure. That trunk section shown would make for some interesting turning!

I used to live right over the mountain from Leakey, TX (not a name that you hear very often), and that tree does not appear indiginous at all. Typically the native trees around there were live oak, cedar, and some pecan's in the river bottoms. The live oak's were very slow growing too - only about one inch in increased diameter every 50 years or so.

Ditto the comments on the China Berry or Paulownia.

I envy you; that's some beautiful country around there and not over-populated either.

Blog Entries
    Ditto on the Paulownia, post a photo in the spring with close up of leaves and bloom and we can all pat ourselves on the back or not. I vote Paulownia, pretty common here in North Carolina, bark is good evidence.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.