Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turning tool holder - designs

turning tool holder - designs

Hello all,

I am thinking about making a new tool holder for my gouges, skews, hollowing tools,etc. I have made a rolling cabinet with 4 drawers in it in which I keep my turning related stuff, CA glues, drive centers, sanding supplies, and one drawer for the gouges, etc. and it holds my grinder with wolverine system on the top. I have had this completed for 8 months or so.

I use one of the drawers for my gouges, skews, etc, but now I find that I could use that drawer in a better way if I made a separate tool holder. What I have in mind is a holder that would mount between the studs [24" on center] on my shop building wall, and would have more than one layer for tools, as I probably have around 24 or so.

Any pictures of any design would be helpful, as I am not locked into the wall mount if a better idea is out there. I am very limited on space, so that is why I am thinking about a wall mount that would not take up additional floor space which is in VERY short supply in my shop.

Thank you all in advance! Creekers are the best!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, you may want to visit this thread for a start.

I built the Jeff Wright style shown in John's referenced thread. Works great for me, in fact I may build a third.

Here's my solution

Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Here is my solution. Something similar might work on your rolling cart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Clark; 12-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks guys! this was something I needed. Ken, I like your approach......my cabinet is similar to yours, only bigger, and this would work, and your design is adaptable to putting on the wall between the studs as well, and they are easily made.

Thanks a bunch to all of you!

Mine are almost like Ken's-made from oak. Last night I made a bottom for one with about 4 inches that sticks out from the end. I intend to make a clamp similar to a lathe banjo that would allow me to attach to the lathe bed.

Mine is a plywood box with 1 1/2" diam PVC tubes. The box is bolted onto the top of a rolling tool cart. I have five rows of 13 tubes with 12", 10", 8", and two 6" rows, so 65 tubes total. The back of the box is open and the tubes are friction fit and can be lifted out, so that shavings can be periodically removed.

I had the tools wall mounted on french cleated racks, but I like the flexibility of the cart.

Tool Rack 1 (1000 x 750).jpgTool Rack 2 (1000 x 750).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Whitney View Post
    Mine is a plywood box with 1 1/2" diam PVC tubes. The box is bolted onto the top of a rolling tool cart. I have five rows of 13 tubes with 12", 10", 8", and two 6" rows, so 65 tubes total. The back of the box is open and the tubes are friction fit and can be lifted out, so that shavings can be periodically removed.

I had the tools wall mounted on french cleated racks, but I like the flexibility of the cart.

Tool Rack 1 (1000 x 750).jpgTool Rack 2 (1000 x 750).jpg

This looks like my next project as I try yo get my shop better organized. Thanks for the post.

Blog Entries
    I just built this one, modeled after Kens.

You can find my 2 threads if you look a page or 2 back.You'll find more pics in those.

Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I was going to build a bunch of wall mount racks at the back of my bench with PVC pipe at least 2 rows deep but I hate to take up so much wall/peg board space. I saw at meeting someone lined a 5 gal bucket with PVC pipes, bolted them to the outside leaving the center open for chucks and stuff. I took this a little further filled it up with PVC pipes. I've made 2 so far. I taped 2 sets of 3 tubes together then tape them together with the center pipe then tape the other sets of 3 tubes, I place them all in the bucket put a wire around them all to make them basically round and sprayed in foam around the edge, waited to let it dry overnight and trimmed the top flat even with the pipes. I made the pipes just under a foot to get the maximum number out of a length pipe. This way you can put the tools up or down for traveling around and also put a buck on top to keep them dry. I put a bungee cord over it so that the tool don't fall out. I thought about putting a plywood circle at the bottom or mdf but worried about moisture. I think each one costs about $20 and done real quick until I come up with another solution for the studio (garage). I was even thinking about dropping something in the tubes that would come out in cleaning like wood balls, rubber somethings, rag balls? For the foam I thought about putting one layer down, popcorn packing material then another layer down but all spray in foam work well. Also the foam in the can/tube don't usually last for another run so it's just as easy to use it all at one time.
    Jeffs2-sm.jpgJeffs1-sm.jpg
    Last edited by jeff schnell; 02-25-2011 at 2:25 PM.

DCP_0514.jpgDCP_0076.jpgJust a wall mount thought. Closed 36" tall x 30" wide x 8" deep. Fully open it is 60 "wide x 4"deep. French cleats on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    DCP_0514.jpgDCP_0076.jpgJust a wall mount thought. Closed 36" tall x 30" wide x 8" deep. Fully open it is 60 "wide x 4"deep. French cleats on the back.

That is a pretty nice cabinet there, Ron. It looks like you also turn some of your tool handles? I do not have wall space in my small shop..........every inch almost is taken, but I did make a rolling cabinet with drawers for the tools. I would like to make some wall mount holders like the ones earlier in this thread, and put them on the sides of the cabinet, and use those drawers for storing more sandpaper, glue, etc.

Yes I do turn my handles for the most part. I do have a long Thompson handle hiding in my lathe drawer as well as a sorby sorveriegn. I have no floor space left myself. I was also taught way back when, not to leave pointy objects pointing up where some one could trip and fall on them. It apparently stuck with me all these years. Funny how some things never become forgotten. Right side up or down the wedge system seems to be a great way to hold tools. Best of luck.