Thread: Wine Barrel Cabinet pics

Wine Barrel Cabinet pics

My wife and I looked for a long time for a suitable cabinet that would fit the space and decor of this part of our basement while being functional. We saw some interesting pieces but nothing was right so I designed this piece that is based on, and partially made from, an actual wine barrel. Solid white oak it is 52" long and 15" deep (the widest point of the barrel "bulge") and 37" high. The most challenging aspect was working out how to mark and cut straight dados into a double curved surface in addition to making the sleds and jigs to hold it in place to work on it. The extra leaf idea is for when we have parties and want extra serving areas for food or wine. The support arms are full extension slides rated for 100lbs attached to white oak arms topped with ultra-high molecular weight tape to facilitate sliding from under the main surface. One hole has been drilled in each arm to accept a dowel that prevents the leaf from siding off and a thin piece or oak is attached to the back bottom of the leaf so it cannot flip up when loaded with food or drink. The whole piece was stained and lacquered to match the door and trim work I built previously
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a wonderful idea........you need to market this!!!

that's awesome! where did you find the barrel??

Nice work. The bar looks great and plenty of counter space when needed.

Thanks for the comments. A number of friends and family that have seen it have commented on how unusual it is, I am real happy with how it turned out.

Garrett, I found the barrel through a wesite called kijjiiji (sp?) in Toronto (I live just outside Toronto), the barrel had never been used as I didn't want any smell. The cost was $450 and I have enough barrel left over to make another unit, slightly deeper, if I wish.

I might make some more of these next sumer when I build my new dream workshop but no new projects till then.

That is awesome! Nice work and VERY original design!
    The impossible straight away, miracles are taking a little longer....

Really creative idea. The workmanship is excellent as well.

That's a really interesting and unique piece! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a very unique project. It looks great.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Awesome idea and great job. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful piece. It does look great with that door you made in the background. I can see how it would have been difficult to purchase a piece to match the style you were going for with the flexibility you built into yours.

Blog Entries
    Well done. A beautiful piece and I love the flexibility of the expanding top.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The most recent issue of FWW has a Bombe chest---curved fronts, and sides.....with dovetailed drawers which match the case curves.

I like the idea! Unique and refined. Very skillful! I like the wood. Nicely done.