Thread: Cold weather and vinyl lettering

Cold weather and vinyl lettering

Winter came fast. And it's technically not even here yet.

We have some windows on which we'd like to put vinyl lettering, on the outside of the glass.
    They are old, single pane, on our building.

If we install the lettering and we wait until it's slightly above freezing to do it,
    will they stay? Or what advice do you have?

Thanks!
    Amy
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

I have installed vinyl lettering in slightly sub-freezing weather and had no problem, but you need to add an additional step. The adhesive requires warmer temperatures to adhere properly. In fact, at close to freezing, the lettering will come right off when you remove the transfer tape. Using the
    masking tape "hinge" method, lift the lettering, remove the backing and then use a small piece or two of tape to keep it up. Then use a hair dryer to war the glass below where it will be stuck on.
    Apply and squeegie like normal, but then before removing the transfer tape, war again with the hair dryer. With practice you will learn how long, but ensure that when you place your hand on the
    transfer tape covering the lettering it feels warm before you remove it, then do so quickly before it gets cold again.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

And don't use Application Fluid, unless it's Rapid Tac II (higher alcohol content than Rapid Tac). In cold weather, that stuff doesn't evaporate well. I've done a number of jobs in the cold. I've not had any problems since I stopped trying to use application fluid on those installs. Just make sure the windows are clean (non-silicone based cleaner) and it'll stick.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks!! I'm glad to know it can be done, and I'm grateful for the instructions!
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)