Thread: Jointer with Babbit bearings tripping breaker in cold weather

Jointer with Babbit bearings tripping breaker in cold weather

I have an older Yates jointer with Babbitt bearings that is in my unheated garage shop. I use 30SAE oil in the wicks. I have owned it since this summer. It has run perfectly until recently when the weather has dropped below 40 degrees F. Now it tries to start up it almost gets there and trips either the heaters in the switch box, the 2 pole 20 breaker or both. Is there something I could do besides try heating my uninsulated garage. I am pretty sure it is related to the cold, but have no idea how to fix it. Should I put in a higher amperage breaker and heaters? Should I try a thinner oil? I haven't posted on OWWM yet as it was having problem, but you all have saved me in the past I figured I would give it a shot.
    Thank you,
    Mark

Mark,

I had the same problem on my first day with my new-for-me Northfield jointer; it had ball bearings but even with some heat in the shop it kept breaking the circuit due to excess load. I think the machine had been idle for some time before I bought it, but eventually, with enough startup tries, the bearing grease thinned enough that the problem solved itself and never happened again. A female friend told me I needed a jointer cozy .

Personally, I wouldn't want to work in an unheated shop; even a portable kerosene space heater can make a lot of difference, especially if you can park it under a ceiling fan.

Using a multi weight oil with less viscosity in the winter would definitely help. That having been said the number one indicator that it is to cold in your shop to be working is that your machines don't function properly.

How about a heat lamp, or pipe heating cable on a timer?

You might try one of those electric heating wires for pipes. You would have to bypass the installed thermostat, which is usually set for just above freezing. Or install a small (nite light) bulb in the area of the cutter head. Place a piece of fiberglass insulation over cutter head area at night to help retain the heat.

Synthetic oil flows very well, even at low temperatures. I would see if that does the trick, and like Keith suggested try a multi-grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    Synthetic oil flows very well, even at low temperatures. I would see if that does the trick, and like Keith suggested try a multi-grade.
    +1 The actual viscosity of synths are much lower than "dino" oils as "weight" doesn't indicate actual viscosity any more just the lube character relative to a scale.

If this is a belt drive model, try loosening the belt a bit in addition to the synthetic oil. It might be too stiff and tight in the cold. A link belt or notch profile belt might help too.

Don't overlook that it might be dried up hard grease in the motor bearings instead of the jointer bearings. Try running the motor by itself, too.

Ran the kerosene heater today for 30 minutes before starting the jointer everything was fine. I was trying to avoid it as I hate the smell. And it gets in my clothes.
    Thanks for all the replys,
    Mark

Try a little of the low temperature synthetic grease such as Loctite's Viper lube.

Just a Thought...

Why not if you have one take your blow dryer from the bathroom and direct some heat on the bearing journals? Most are 1500 or more watts and more then capable of warming the metal/oil in a couple of minutes. Once you have it going it shouldn't be a problem unless it sits for a while. Might be easier then the fumes from the heater.