Thread: sliding table crossroads? Part 2 - buy a sliding table for cabinet saw?

Question sliding table crossroads? Part 2 - buy a sliding table for cabinet saw?

Okay, Part 2 of sliding table saw, vs cabinet saw sliding table. If I go the add-on cabinet saw add-on sliding table, the question is mostly which one? I'll be cutting some sheet goods, but I'm mostly looking at cutting hard wood lumber over sheet stock and am more interested in precision for small stuff than cutting sheet stock, but if it can do both well I'm certainly open!

Here are some of the slider options I've come across... I like the idea of the slider attachment not requiring legs to support it and it working and attaching more like a real european sliding table saw, but that isn't an absolute requirement. Due to limited space, if it has legs, it would need to be narrower, like the Exaktor EX26X...

The Exaktor EX26X, looks appealing. I like the option to crosscut sheet goods, but as I metnioed, I'm more interested in precision for cutting smaller stock. I'd expect the narrower EX26X to be more precise than the wider models.

Excalibur ... similar to Exaktor but it sounds like exaktor is better, so between these two, I lean exaktor based on other reviews...

Laguna - This looks interesting to me, but not finding many reviews of it. With this style, i'd prefer if it didn't need legs, but it is more compact and has smaller capacity than the Ex*r brands. Which, for the most part is okay.

JessEm MAST-R-SLIDE -- Looks like they have discontinued this. Seems comprable to the Laguna

Robland... Others have mentioned a Robland as being the same as the sliding table on the Robland X31, but I can't seem to find anything about that or where to buy it. Is Robland still around? Is this still available? Sounds like it might be a good fit for me if it is....

GENERAL, I know General makes some that can be added to their saws, does anyone know if they can be added to other brand cabinet saws like my unisaw? http://www.general.ca/site_general/accessories/saw.html

Delta 34-555 -- probably the cheapest when bought refurbished. Amazon shows mixed reviews.

Dewalt DW7461 -- I know some people have modifited it to fit on a unisaw...

I'm open to the exactor EX26X, but am most curious about it's accuracy for running smaller non-sheet stock. Also, given I have a basement shop, space comes at a premium, so I like the idea of the general, the evasive Robland, the discontinued MAST-R-Slide -- something without legs if possible. Any other models or ideas I should consider? (Also exploring the idea of just selling theunisaw and investing in a Hammer sliding table, see Part 1 of my sliding table crossroad threads.)

Thanks!

-Trevor

I'll only comment on what I know.

The Jessem, IMO, should not be considered a sliding table for panel work. It's more like a really nice looking miter fence that's attached to something that slides.

The table is only about 10 inches wide, with a small 9" x 9" extension to support bigger pieces. I can't see how any of those dimensions make it worthwhile for any panel cutting work.

That tool costs $500 bucks, and that was several years ago.

How do I honestly feel: I just sold mine and placed the left cast iron extension back on.

Nothing gained, nothing lost (well I did lose $100 when I sold it)

if you want to be able to crosscut an entire sheet of plywood, the large exaktor/excalibur sliding table is the one you want although i must warn you: it takes up A LOT OF SPACE. i previously owned a delta sliding table which was alright although the fence required frequent recalibrations and wasn't large enough for what i wanted to do: break down full sheets of plywood/melamine. grizzly also makes the same sliding table just painted green! the jessem is what i'd probably get if i ever downsize because of it's high degree of accuracy and smoothness of its sliding mechanism. you can check out phil bumbalough's "benchmark" site for a great review on all the options.

Trevor, a true slider such as Felder/Hammer MiniMax etc, don't take up as much room as an add on sliding table for the same capacity.

With a Euro slider if you don't need the large surface and outrigger, you loosen a couple of levers and unclip the outrigger and remove it. The telescoping support arm then folds against the side of the saw making a nice compact package.

Couple that with a bewildering array of table extensions, accessories etc and the Euro machine becomes a simple choice. far more capacity, accuracy and capabilities, not to mention space savings.

Regards, Rod.

I've got a SawStop ICS with an Excalibur (now distributed by General) sliding table. One thing to think about, since you have limited space, is the fact that the leg supports have to be leveled before you use the table. IMHO, this renders your TS immobile because it would be a PITA to re-level everything if you had to move it around every time you used it.

Other than mobility and the space requirements, I absolutely love it and I have used it for years.

i just reinstalled my exaktor the other day and discovered that a hardwood flooring jack or probably any other jack that extends high enough was extremely helpful in levelling the legs on my uneven garage floor.