Thread: sliding table crossroads? Part 1 - buy a real sliding table saw? or...)

sliding table crossroads? Part 1 - buy a real sliding table saw? or...)

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a sliding table to attach to my Unisaw (right tilt -- ideal for sliding table, model 36-812). I'm also considering a Hammer K3 or B3 but am conserned about getting it into and out my basement shop (would likely be there for 5-10 years... I see other people have moved these to their basement any comments/pictures/suggestions etc on the process of getting a Hammer K3 or B3 into their basement that brought it down a flight of stairs vs lowered in directly from outside? How manageable is it in parts. The biggest issue I'd have is getting it down the stairs, and, unfortunately, the stairs run perpendicular to the basement wall, so I'd need to take an immediate right turn at the bottom (with left side opening up to another room). I could potentially remove the half wall on the left for the last 4 or so steps if needed...

I'm not set to make this decision immediately as I have a lot of calculating to do... space, weight, finances, etc. but I want to make an informed decision which will push me to either...

1. Buy add-ons to extend the ease of use and functionality of my current saw/shop
    2. Skip misc upgrades that can quickly get expensive and dive in full by buying a Hammer K3 or B3 (I don't currently own a shaper, but if space/wieght makes that too difficult, I'm okay with skipping the shaper piece... the sliding table saw is what I really want.

Thoughts? The cheap-skate budget minded me says get a nice sliding table attachment, and then sell/upgrade when I get my "real" shop down the road...
    The reasonable but drooling woodworker version of me says, stop buying and selling tools over and over and buy what you you really want (and hope what you *think* you want is what you really want)

I'm sure I wouldn't regret buying a Hammer, but I'm more conserned about getting it in/out of my basement!

I'll create a separate "Part 2" thread with sliding table attachments for regular cabinet saw questions so I can more seriously weigh my options...

-Trevor

Hi Trevor, PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail the info on how I moved my B3 downstairs by myself........Rod.

What size slider are you looking at? I think they ship the longer sliders not attached but I am sure somebody will chime in. I got a short slider and it came all ready attached. I didnt find it that hard to move around. I got it off the pallet and on the floor myself with no problems.

Thanks Rod, PM sent!