Thread: Sander dust collection

Question Sander dust collection

I recently purchased a Delta 31-260x 18" sander. It works quite well, really a great machine.

Now for the problem. I have it hooked up to a Jet Canister type dust collector. It seems that the dust from the sander is so fine that the canister stops up in a very short period of time while sanding. I don't really notice the reduction of suction until I use the dust collector for my table saw. I then find that I have to rotate the canister cleaning handle for almost each cut.

How are you trapping the "dust" from the sander? Would a Thein type chip collector be effective on sanding dust?

I really don't want to remove the canister and clean it every time I do any sanding but I can't seem to come up with any other way to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Jim,

When I bought an Onieda 1 1/2 HP dust collector years ago, the owners manual noted that the filter would clog quickly with fine sanding dust. I had a Delta 18" sander at the time and hooked it up to a seperate bag type dust collector, with a good bag. It also clogged up but took longer to do it.

Now I have a bigger drum sander and a 3HP Onieda. The filter still clogs faster than I would like and performance drops fast when sanding, so I dumped the filter and ran the exhaust outside. Strangely enough, very little sawdust goes outside, there is none on the fence or ground that I can see, so I guess it doesn't take much of the super fine stuff to clog the filter. The cyclone still gets most of the dust.

Perhaps Phil Thein can tell you how effective his baffle is on fine dust. He has a website.

Rick Potter

The truth is that my design won't catch all fine dust from a sander. Neither will a large cyclone, though. I don't have any #'s to make comparisons.

Rick is right, though, if you can exhaust outside, then it doesn't matter. You can add a baffle to your Jet and blow the exhaust outside and you'll never see any trace of sawdust, and you won't have a filter to worry about.

Thanks for the reply's. Outside is not an option regrettably. I live in a residential area and the discharge would be right in a walkway for our home. I can just imagine the complaints mounting if I did exhaust outside.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Blog Entries
    Although I was skeptical and had tried various "seperators" before (all worked well for large chips), the Oenida Dust Deputy keeps a surprising amount of fines in the barrel and my fiilter cleaning cycle is greatly reduced. Now the bad news; I use it with my ROS. You are generating soooo much more dust than I am for a given period of time. Greater filter surface area may be what it required. Good luck.

I have a clearvue with wynn filters hooked up to my 22" drum sander. I have run it for hours at a time and do not notice any degradation in DC flow due to using the sander - now running the planer and not checking dust bin level and have it over-fill will dirty up the filters right quick - but not the sander.

How 'bout one of those devices used for drywall dust where a bucket (with a lid) full of water is used to filter out the dust (it gets trapped in the water)? Hose from the ROS goes under the water and the host from the shop vac is above the water (through the lid).

See http://toolguyd.com/2010/03/shop-tip...llection-trap/ for an example (hope the link is OK).