Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sliding table saw or vertical panel saw

[QUOTE=john s white;1584050]. I just have enough room for a 9 foot slider but i want it to be single phase ....I have plenty of power as i have a 200 amp main in the shop but do not really want to deal with a phase converter and the added expense in this purchase.
    QUOTE]

You could look at this from a different direction.

If you were to buy a good used slider you would easily save enough to buy a Phase Perfect brand [not a rotary]converter, and then would have what you need to be able to pick up other three phase equipment that is inexpensive just because it is three phase. Say for example a commercial pin router can be had for around a grand in good shape, a machine that would be many times more new. Your options would be opened up on what you could purchase.

There are many deals on three phase equipment out there, but you need the power. A 30 hp Phase perfect is about $4500.

I use the basic Eurekazone EZ Smart system for cutting sheet goods, and it works beautifully. It is inexpensive, solidly-built, easy to master, and if you have to call with questions you talk to the owner of the company! It takes up next to zero space when not in use.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

3. John If you want the finest, go with a used Altenhedorf F45. There is no finer saw. You will never look back. make a cart to offoad from your truck. You will be able to cut directly to finished quality and sizes. The one issue will be the phase conversion issue from three phase to single. But that should not be a major issue.
    Good luck keep us posted.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by john s white View Post
    Hello and thank you all for your overwhelming responses. This is a great forum with a lot of very helpful members and you all certainly give me a lot to think about...
    More about me and my needs as requested. I do use 3/4 plywood maple sheets for a lot of what i build and presently i have a 25 year old still in perfect condition Delta Unisaw with extension tables but no scoring or sliding table and i do struggle with full sheets. I am mostly alone in the shop and need to be able to perform tasks by myself. I build desks and other pieces of furniture that require the use of plywood in many occasions. So far I am my best client but as time goes on and i become better known in my area i can imagine that i will pick up more and more clients and be building some things for them....But the pieces will probably have to be economical as this area of the country will dictate that with a few exceptions i can imagine.
    I am leaning to the idea of a slider and the more and more i learn about them, the more i read and the more videos i see, i think this is the way to go for the quality of cut with a scoring blade and the versatility of the sliding table and the sheer pleasure of making such quality cuts. I just have enough room for a 9 foot slider but i want it to be single phase ....I have plenty of power as i have a 200 amp main in the shop but do not really want to deal with a phase converter and the added expense in this purchase.
    Again thanks to you all for your well wishes and your profound advice towards this decision. I value this very much and look forward to much more participation and learning from all of you .....
    Here are some nice examples.
    http://www.exfactory.com/Equipment.a...pe=cat&what=PS

My opinion only here. Get a good-quality sliding table saw with scoring attachment that will aid cutting sheet goods, as well as great cross-cutting capability. As for processing sheet goods, get a Festool track saw which is a fine quality tool. I got one after making a mess of some expensive oak plywood using a straightedge and skill saw. Money well spent.

The short answer is of the 2 options you provided, the slider will be a better quality machine.
    However short answers aren't always the best answers are they? You mentioned this is for a retirement shop. Sliders require more difficult lifting as you have to get those 4 x 8 sheets onto the slider. For myself approaching 40 I find this to be a daunting task, albeit one I have to do daily. I do NOT want to be doing it as I approach retirement. Much more difficult than propping a sheet up to a vertical. Also sliders require a lot more floorspace to cut up sheet goods.
    So the solution is a good quality tablesaw coupled with a good quality vertical. The problem is if your looking at new verticals for under $4k....well, they're just not what I'd recommend. I had one I used for several years to break down sheet goods and the edges were never good enough quality for the level of work I do. It also was not reliable for perfectly straight/square edges.
    Nope for $4k, or maybe a bit more depending on your local market, your much much much better off with a used HolzHer 1265. Striebigs are also nice, well actually better machines, but even their so called compact is huge and may be difficult to fit? With these saws you simply lean your panel against the fence and cut with just about perfect edges every time. I started out in the trade on an old Striebig and can't say enough good things about those type of saws. I haven't used the Holzher myself but they're supposed to be a good second choice.

good luck,
    JeffD