Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pitcher o' Burl!

Pitcher o' Burl!

For quite some time, I have been wanting to do a pitcher like this, and while I have several burls, it would take a piece that had a "high side" and enough thickness. This piece is from the drop dead gorgeous piece of Box Elder burl that Curt Fuller sent me. It was perfect for this turning!

The pitcher is approximately 6" x 6", and the walls are 3/16". I pondered about going thinner, but I wanted to save the NE as much as possible. The rim is tinted with just a little Transtint Brown Mahogany dye, and the finish is BLO and three coats of WOP, double buffed.

The handle is hammered copper. Many thanks to my "design team" - the tireless Steve Schlumpf who should, but never, says "I ain't lookin' at no more pics, and answerin' no more questions!", and to Ms. Keeton, who seems to side with Steve more often than not! The handle would not have been copper had it not been for Steve's suggestion.

And, of course, Curt Fuller for the wonderful gift.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome piece!

Another winner John! And the simplicity really adds to the effect. I think I'd take care of that team if I were you!

Outstanding piece John. Looks like a lot of thought went into centering the piece just right before the lathe was even turned on. Beautiful...Bill...

John, your imagination never ceases to amaze me. Beautiful use of that beautiful piece of wood!

Incredible John!!!!

WOW, that is spectacular. Beautiful job John and what an incredible piece of wood.

that is incredible John. nicely done. Rick

Another outstanding piece John!

9. holy cow batman! Now that is a beautiful piece of wood turned into a beautiful piece of art. Nice one John......seeing these pics already shows the upgrade on the forum.........they look like they are brighter and more vivid on this new setup. It might be your photography, but it is really a nice set of pics.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is beautiful John! Wonderful creativity. You have a gift.

John - that is simply outstanding! Congrats on being able to take your vision and turn it into a reality! Well done!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

John I don't usually respond to most posts but I thought this was worth breaking my silence. You seem to have the talent to make something that is very pleasing to the eyes. I know different strokes for different folks but I really liked it.

Fred

Wow John, that's fantastic! What a great idea for the handle too.

John, very, very nice. You are a truly natural turner. I just wish the pictures would show up without having to click on them.

Simply incredible!! You have done an excellent job. Beautiful!