Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Bowl Process Video

Beginner Bowl Process Video

I taped a Flip video to the front of my mask and turned a dry cherry scrap into a bowl (sort of crude one as I was hurrying and concentrating on the process more than the form). It's low tech and goofy (beware my singing along to the ipod), but I thought I'd mention it exists in case any brand new would be bowl turners might like to see a 12 minute video summary of the steps one intermediate bowl turner uses to get his done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1Dw1D4OU8

The kind of chunky small one at the front with the scoop is the one from the demo.

I previously posted this inside another thread, but thought maybe it would be missed by some who (maybe ... kinda ... probably not ;-)) be interested, so I'm posting it as it's own thread. Hope that's okay.

Cheers.

Nicely done. The vantage point of the camera is a really good viewing angle. I hope you get another chuck for Christmas, so you don't have to change out those jaws all the time.

great video and good looking bowl
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Thanks for recording this Sean, and for sharing it! I learned a half-dozen things in those 12 minutes, and will use each later today.

Was that Bob Dylan right at the end?

Cheers,

K Barker

That's a great collection of bowls in the photo. All beautiful in form and finish. The video was very good. It concisely demonstrates bowl turning from beginning to end without cluttering the beginner's mind with the many potential variations of the process.

The singing shows how much fun you were having.

-Tony

That is a very well done and quick "how to" for anyone wanting to turn their first bowl! And your collection on bowls in your pic has a lot of nice design elements displayed. Good job...Bill...

Thanks, David. Hard to keep things in frame and the flip has a hard time keeping things in focus at the two foot range, but it worked out ok.

I have a Stronghold, but it has a really large set on it for a 16 inch blank I have. I woulf like to afford some extra Talon and Stronghold bodies though, fer sure.

Kurt, I'm really glad it was a bit useful to you.

Red River Shore is indeed Dylan (outtake for the Time out of Mind Session IIRC) from the Tell Tale Signs (Bootleg series) CD.

And thanks!

Thanks, Tony. I'm always having fun when I'm turning!

Very helpful video Sean. I am about to venture into my first bowl soon and this will be such a BIG help to me. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Nice vid Sean. The flip really did a nice job. I found myself partial to the opening Robert Palmer, (who said there was no good music in the 80's?) but all the tracks were interesting and certainly enhanced with your backing vocals!

hehe i was thinking that i might need to get A chuck and a smaller diameter faceplate too

Finally got around to watching the video. Nice job with a good camera angle. Interesting to see your approach with the tool using a different grind angle compared to the one I use. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for doing that. I started my second "real" bowl today. This is very helpful.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it. I have been turning hollow vessels for a few years but never bowls. I just never got into bowls but didn't know much on how to do them. I just recently got the itch to try a bowl and hope to soon and this will help. I set up a vacuum system since I got a very good deal on a pump which is what stirred up a desire to turn a bowl or two. I am still partial to hollow vessels, but would like to try my hand at a few bowls. My back has gone bad in the last couple of weeks and am off work due to a posterior annular tear in a disk and I am in constant pain. As soon as I can get some relief, I am ready to get back to turning again on some more hollow vessels and give that vacuum system a try. This helps as I have never really looked at how bowl turning is done much and your short video is helpful in giving me a start. Thanks,