Thread: Looking for a good value right angle drill

Looking for a good value right angle drill

Ok guys,

The one tool I have put off forever buying is a right angle drill. If I know well enough in advance I can borrow my Dad's Milwaukee Magnum, but I often don't plan that well (he is 2 hrs away). I like good tools, and don't really have any non-professional type power tools, although this might be a place to save a bit. It's the occasional hole that kills you - like this afternoons project. Anyone have any thoughts on a good value in a right angle drill, I would prefer a corded model, for cost and long life. Thanks for any thoughts or tips.

John

I have a Milwaukee "close quarter drill" not truly a right angle but for my money more comfortable to use than a true right angle. Currently $160 from Amazon but I got my unit off of ebay for around $60. Sioux also sells the same drill. The design has been around forever and works really well. Having said all that, I use mine for cabinet work. If I were using 3" hole saws all day I'd get a bigger unit.

John --
    The answer depends on what you want to do. Right angle drills range from lightweight (and affordable) to unbreakable (and expensive). In my experience, the downside to the lightweight ones is that they break. Unlike ordinary drills, which just stall when you overload them, right-angle drills have the bad habit of breaking the gears which turn the corner. Over the years, I've broken: right-angle adapters from Stanley and from Veritas; a Makita drill; and a drill marketed as both a Sioux and a Milwaukee. Every one of them broke at the gears. I finally got a Milwaukee Hole-Hawg. It doesn't break, and it doesn't stall.

Jamie

Thanks guys, the ebay Milwaukee close quarter drill is likely the ticket. I don't have much need for the Hole Hawg, just something for those times...

I'll take a look.

John

John,
    I had the need to drill some holes with a right angle drill and didn't want to spend the money on the actual drill. So I went to Menards and bought a cheap right angle drill adapter that attaches to the end of my standard drill. It worked great for the few holes that I had to drill. You may want to look at this if it is just for occasional use.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John Weber
    Thanks guys, the ebay Milwaukee close quarter drill is likely the ticket. I don't have much need for the Hole Hawg, just something for those times...
    John, I have the Souix mentioned above (they also make the Milwaukee) and use it for power sanding at the lathe. It's a fine machine and will do a good job for light duty near-right angle work. The right angle chuck for my Festool drill/driver also works well, although that's a cordless solution obviously.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John,
    I bought a $20 right angle adapter at Woodcraft and it works great. Attaches to my regular drill, comes with a handle that can be placed on either side. I've already used it on two projects.
    Good luck,
    Steve