Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another non paying job

Another non paying job

Well this is something I made for a friend of mine, her Dad was in the army during WW2 and although he's still alive and kicking, his medals have been tucked away for a long time. So she wants to give him them where they could be on display and this is what I came up with.

2mm acrylic sheet, clear is at the front of the frame. 3mm acrylic holds the medals and has the engraving of his regimental insignia. A third piece of clear 2mm acrylic sits at the back of the frame which is lined with stick on flocking. The flocking is black to show off the engraving but an area surround just the four medals has been removed from the rear of the frame to allow people to view the reverse of the medal.

Well I was happy with the result, like most engravers, a picture which had been in focus would have been a bonus but I can't say it was that bad in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Corker; 12-11-2010 at 8:38 PM.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Very well done. I've been thinking of doing something similar for myself. You've given
    me some ideas.

Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

As always, a classy job combining the photo, insignia and medals, Frank. I like the color of the frame subtly repeated in the medals.

I can't say I like having to click on each picture to see them... is this the new way things will be? Or is that the way you posted them?

At any rate, this is sure to be treasured and honored. Kudos!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Very nice Frank I bet they love it.

Frank,

Those non-paying jobs just keep coming don't they. Used to have that issue quite a bit when I did I.T. work. When people know you know computers, it's like the phone doesn't stop ringing. LOL

Nice job and more ideas for us all to create more stuff for our biz.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post

I can't say I like having to click on each picture to see them... is this the new way things will be? Or is that the way you posted them?

cheers, dee
    Dee
    Bottom left of each photo Last / Next took me a few seconds to find them they are not highlighted well
    Epilog Legend EXT 60w-Corel X4
    Skype me .

There's a lot more good than evil,
    and there's a lot more joy than pain.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil:
    for thou art with me;
    thy rod and thy staff
    they comfort me."

What should I say - great, as usual Frank!icon14.png

Andrea

P.S. I always get in trouble, handling that stick-on flock

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Yep the stick on flock is...well it's really sticky! It does look nice though on something like this and well worth the effort.
    As for viewing the pictures Dee, I just uploaded them and that's how they came up, going to take a little getting used to and I really wish the first four items on the start page (you know the one's that never seem to go anywhere) were in a completely different colour or had a good seperating border. Must have clicked on them about five times which is a little irritating.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Great job, Frank! I love this non standart combination of technics, materials!
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Once again......REALLY nice item Frank......you're my inspiration! It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how you made it.....I'm a little slow!

I have no idea what stick on flocking is (if anyone in the US can enlighten me as to where I can buy it, I would appreciate it)......is it regular flocking that gets sprinkled onto a sticky surface or does it come in peel-n-stick sheets?

In any event.....did you glue the three sheets of acrylic together or are they "floating" inside the picture frame? Just wondering if the metals are now permanently sealed under acrylic! Is the flocking on the front or the back of that last sheet of acrylic?

Once again you impress me with your creativity......especially since I have none!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Beautiful work.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 60 Watt,
    Electrox 20 Watt,
    CorelDraw x6,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Russell Smith View Post
    Dee
    Bottom left of each photo Last / Next took me a few seconds to find them they are not highlighted well
    Nevermind, Dave, I guess it was just the new program settling in. At first, the pix were just links to click on but now they show as pix.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Very nicely done Frank. Sure to be a family heirloom.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Nice Frank, (Should we expect less?! )

I do similar things with Spouse's and Children's medals for retirements.
    Very popular, cut an area for the medal then a engrave and mount the certificate

I to use the flocking, some is better than others as some the material is stiffer.
    The more flexible, I use a roller to help.

There are some nice "suede like" matt boards I use from time to time.

I haven't got into the Twills and other heat press materials yet, but intend
    start working with them this next year.

Keep up the good work!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Good job Frank as usual.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation