Thread: Morris chair finished

Morris chair finished

I finished this in May, but the upholsterer had a six month backlog and only finished yesterday. Sorry, I didn't post anything along the way, but basically just followed Greg Paolini's article in fw. I got the quarter sawn oak for the project from Hearne woods and would recommend them most highly. Amazing figure in the arms! Not cheap though, think I paid 475 and i do not have much left over. Oh well, who ever said making your own furniture was cheap--don't even ask what I paid the upholsterer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Great looking heirloom chair.

Wow, I like the blue with your finish. Very nice!

Hearns is a bit away from me, but I am up for making the trip. I want to make this some day. If you have time, can you share about what you bought? For example, did they help you match grain or were you sort of on your own?

Oh, if it makes you feel better, with an ottoman I think Grep P. charges close to 3k for that!

Nicely done. I unfortunately had to use my QSWO I bought for my morris chair on a project for a friend who is presently in Afghanistan and wanted a hall seat for his wife for xmas. So....I will be getting another supply for my morris chair, hoping it comes out looking like yours. I was actually thinking about using mahogany.

But again, looks great !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I ordered it over the phone and they were extremely helpful.

That makes sense. I know he goes for highest quality lumber and good quality leather is also pricey as I just learned.

That's a great looking chair, nice color to the wood and even in the picture, I can see the figure in the near arm. Well done.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Sweet job on the chair Bob. She' s a beauty...

I'm thinking that I should put one of these on the short list to build. Are they comfortable to sleep, err... sit, in?
    The Plane Anarchist