Thread: help needed in finding a NOVA insert

help needed in finding a NOVA insert

First of all it is getting close to Christmas .. so Merry Christmas to ALL !!

Now .. I recently was able to purchase a whole bunch of lathe stuff from a local man. In the stuff was an almost brand new "Nova Compac chuck" .. it has the 1" x 8tpi threads. My "Record" mini lathe takes a "3/4 x 16tpi". My basic assumption was Nova .. OK .. get a new insert .. I've tried several emails to the Tekatool .. C/S without a single reply Does anyone know if I can switch out the insert and where can I find one ?? I've even give thought to have an hybrid insert made (local machine shop) ..maybe 2" long inch - steel .. basically it would be female 3/4" - 16 (by 1") transitioning to a 1" - 8tpi male .. sort of like a pvc f -> m coupling. OR, should I just sell the unit and buy the right chuck ??

Thanks, Don in Medford

Don,
    I downloaded the manual for that chuck from the Nova website. I believe that it is a direct thread chuck. If it was an insert chuck you would be able to unscrew it from the chuck and get a different insert. It states that it came in three configurations: 1" X 8 RH, 1" X 10 RH, and 3/4" X 16 RH. Your choice would be an adapter or to upgrade to a bigger lathe (1' X 8). The chuck was available a year or so ago in 3/4" X 16 RH as I got one for my next door neighbor last year for Christmas but I no longer have a place where they are available. I myself do not like using adapters so I would sell it and get one that actually fits your spindle.
    Bill

Many people use adapters, it is a matter of personal preference. Here's a link for what you are looking for:
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA3418.html

Andrew Kertesz