Thread: Help with a new shop

Help with a new shop

Hi - looking for some input on tool layout in my new shop. The pic attached is a notional view and I expect in many cases to move tools.

This is a great improvement to my current situation where it's a ballet to move around tools, cords, hoses, etc. I'm not wedded to anything here just looking to see if there is a better way to organize before I start laying out my power lines so fire away.

Shop space is 10x26 and is empty so it's an open canvas. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you need more lighting...well at least my ole peepers do. I would run three rows of 8' t8 double fixtures (typical consisting of 4 4' bulbs). This will not only provide more light, but also allow a source closer to the walls. The way you have them now will produce lots of shadows.

Good point - Thx. Mine aren't as sharp as they used to be either. I just happened to have 3 4/4s already but I do have 2 8' fixtures too. So I'll just have to Craig's list the 3 and buy the 8s.

Btw the ceiling hgt is 7'-9".

Woodworking is very possible even in a tight space like this. Couple of minor suggestions:
    1. Do you need both a radial arm and chop saw? Even if you want to keep
    both, try to incorporate them into the base cabinets on the right side of
    the shop layout.
    2. Router table-check out some of the tablesaw-mounted units on the market
    that attach to the tablesaw. Bench Dog is one example. Then you can sell
    the router table and use the funds for more lumber.
    3. Any bench top tools that are now on their own stand could be moved to
    inside a base cabinet; you can pull them out when needed and clamp it to
    the bench top for use. Save the casters and lose the stands.
    4. Make some more wall-mounted cabinets to store hand tools, hand-held
    power tools, your library, etc. Anything to get stuff off the floor.
    5. Any way to get the dust collector moved outside? A small closet or covered
    open sided area on the outside of the shop would free up a lot of space.
    Of course this would depend on the neighbors and how they would react
    to hearing a dust collector at midnight.

Well if you already have lights, why buy more?

Put an 8' fixture above/near the TS, and 1 near the wood rack, and then put your 3 4x4's down the middle. If you need to, add under cabinet lighting on your bench area behind the TS
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    Good point - Thx. Mine aren't as sharp as they used to be either. I just happened to have 3 4/4s already but I do have 2 8' fixtures too. So I'll just have to Craig's list the 3 and buy the 8s.

Btw the ceiling hgt is 7'-9".
    Mine's 8' and low ceilings require a good spread of light. 8' fixtures are really not that expensive and good lighting is essential to good work and safety. I forget the gentleman's name...you can search here on shop lighting or someone will surely post a link, but he has done articles on shop lighting and makes a point to get lighting close to the walls because much of our stuff is against a wall. My shop is 24x36 and I have 4 rows of 3 for 12 total 8' plus three 4' two bulb fixtures and still anticipate task lighting for the drill press and bandsaw. Here's what I would do attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Bregar; 12-09-2010 at 1:13 PM.

+1 on most of Mike's comments. The chopsaw, radial arm saw and tablesaw seems redundant in a small shop. I'd ditch the radial arm saw in favor of a sliding arm chopsaw, especially if its a 12". Locating the router table in the wing of the tablesaw opens up some more floor space while giving you table space at the saw to layout pieces for milling.

You can only use one tool at a time and both the planer and jointer need to be pulled to the center of the room. Ditch the DC outlet at the joiner location and place one overhead at the center of the room for whichever is in use.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    Mike and Thom got most of my list of suggestions, but here goes:

- I think you have enough room in there to situate such that most tools would almost never need to be wheeled around to be used. I have been planning around the "8 feet in, 8 feet out" concept for as many items as possible.

- It looks to me as though you tried to keep the center of the room as the "hallway" through the space. But tools can be in the middle of the room too with the "hallway" area between those tools and the wall instead. For example, if you bring the jointer next to your table saw, and the planer out into the center of the floor, the preparation triangle could be achieved as an peninsula in your space. That orientation would also allow you to get 8 feet in and out for all three of those tools which may be convenient.

edit: this jointer next to table saw location is what I did in my shop. To achieve it, I raised my table saw 3 inches on a base so that the top of the jointer's tallest feature is still shorter than my table saw surface. Thus, no bumping into it when I'm working with wide boards etc.

- Agree about the RAS and miter saw comments. At least, put them on a shared surface with shared fence.

- agree with putting tools like grinders under the bench and bringing them out as needed.

- Personally, I think the lights will be fine. You can add task lighting at stations if needed. Leave yourself a plug or two up on the ceiling in case you want to plug another light in later.
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 12-09-2010 at 1:39 PM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I think Bob makes some great points. I did a similar thing with my jointer and tablesaw to save space.

Maybe it's just me not understanding, but it seems as though the tablesaw will be limited in use unless you wheel it out for larger rips. Without the "8ft in, 8ft out' planning, you will become frustrated quickly. At least I did. When I laid out my shop, I drew 4x8 sheets in all directions on the tablesaw to verify clearances.

I built and outfeed/downdraft/storage cart (4'-6" x 6'-6" +/-) to fit behind my TS and it also acts as an assembly table when needed. Everything was planned around the TS, as it is the most used item in my shop.

Just my 2cents.

Jim